Intake Modifications (pics)

Rich Thomson

Here are a few of the pictures of the intake modifications. I had the center triangle removed which will increase my intake volume by 4 sq inches. Velocity=Torque & Flow=HP both will increase.

This pic is of the bottom.

intake-bottom.JPG

This is the pic looking inside the intake.

intake-inside.JPG

hmm

looks interesting. I'd like to know what type of gain it will actually give on the car. Keep us posted.
mark

You're headed in the right direction Rich. But for there to be any meaningfull gains in power the plenum volume should be at least 1.9 times the swept volume of one cylinder of the engine. You wont get there with a modified stock intake manifold, it will take a custom fabbed manifold to get there.;) :D

Actually, the primary reason for the presence of the triangle began as a structural support. The casting goes through a tremendous amount of stress when you account for the harmonics of the air pulsing through it both under vacuum and pressure with sudden transients. Add temperature cycling and the fact that the casting has to deal with the flexing of the supercharger case and load placed upon it while it is torqued down.

Paul

I don't support the answer that the center triangle was for support. If support was an issue Ford would have created a much smaller support piece and spread them around. I accept the idea the triangle was to assist air flow to the 1,2,4,5 cylinders under boost. I don't subscribe to the benifits of it on this type of intake. Coy Miller does a version of this mod for his stage two engines. He cuts and raises the top to increase the plenum volume as well as remove the center triangle.

My reason for removing the center triangle was to increase plenum volume (4 sq inches is alot.) The other reason was to provide better air flow through the intake. The triangle provided a low air pressure area behind it. This intake is a single plane design and a diffuser or air splitter is not needed. The intake pressurizes and the idea of directing air on this type of intake seems pointless. Coy Mill has show that the benifit of doing this type of mod results in higher rpm (800 on his tests) above 5,000. The better air flow increases the air velocity which allows the engine to breathe better.

Is this something you will be offering through your company? How about, I send you my spare intake and $10 for your modified intake and we'll call it even. ;)

I agree with Rich T reasoning.I have one manifold mock up.With a few
more mods.And the flow pick up is nice.

MIKE 38 when are you going to be finshed welding 2 more speed secret manifolds and plenums:D

RANDY

Last edited:
I do not have a cheap source for machining. Maybe someone reading this will be able to find a cheap source for milling the intake and welding it back up. I too have an extra intake I would like done the same. The machining, welding & porting cost me $300. Time and materials I would expect someone to do it for $200-$250.

RICH
I have ,and will be in the process of doing some manifolds and plenums.
But I cannot weld any more do to health.So mike 38sc is doing the welding.
But I can machine the manifold and plenum for you cheaper.Because I will
be all ready set up for my own manifold & plenum machining.

So with no jig build time.I could do this very reasonable.PM ME if interrested.

RANDY

Last edited:
I never said that it has nothing to do with flow, I said that was not its primary purpose. It was cast as a structural part of the intake. A diffuser would have a different shape and location to aid flow. I also never argued that an improvement could not be made by removing it. My contribution to the thread lies in the interest of adding additional information, not knocking Rich's idea. Ford is in business to make money and with all the other restrictions they placed on the car, there is no way they would have put that piece there when they could have saved a few cents by not having it or having to complicate the mold to make the intake. They found its presence necesary so someone had the idea to make an attempt of further utilizing it rather than just sticking a restriction in there haphazardly.

Paul

Randy,

I like the sounds of that. Is this something you will only offer through Rich or can anyone send you an intake. I wouldn't want to hinder what you and Rich set up so that's why I'm asking.

Nettiesd
I am just building for myself and a couple others that don't want to be named.
or there projects.I will have four all together and they are all gone.

This like my other projects, its a one time deal for SC racers.I just sent a
box to MIKE38SC today.if Rich T. wants one and if you want one.You
have a couple days to make your mind up.I would need to ask Mike
if he would wants to do any more welding of the manifolds and plenums.
If he starts I am sure he would want to get this type job finished while
he is set up to do it.Same with me, once I set up to do the machine work.
I will be done with this project.I am not a manufacture for SC parts.I just
build peices for racers.That usually help with the design work.But not this
one.

Maybe Mike will chim in and say what he has time to do.This is a very time
consuming job.Massive weld build up.With the manifold held in a jig.Jig for
the plenum welding,Porting time,polishing option,and machine work that
takes a special built jig for milling.And drilling new bolt holes.

This probably will be the only time this project will be brought up.I just
seen Rich's project,And ask if he wanted to add to it.

Randy

Last edited:
Looks good!

It's nice to know Rich continues to innovate with new products and ideas for the SC community.

Way to go! ;)

I dont have alot to add at this moment about this project other than to say that I'm very involved in it and proud that Randy asked me to come on board. I think this is going to open some doors that have never been available to SCers in the past and should provide drastic improvements. We shall see because this is going to happen.;) :) :cool:

Ah, another on e of THOSE mods.

You can't see it, hear it or feel it, but it shows up in the numbers. ;)

Glad I set a limit and have finished my mods.

This could go on forever! :eek:

Keep on truckin' guys. :p

Lee

BTW: Mike, everybody that see the rad loves it. It's still cool as a mountain breeze. :p

Lee!!!!! How ya been doing?
I was just getting ready to Email you to check up on my kid and make sure he has'nt been misbehavin.
Glad to hear everything is good.
Orders for rads sure has picked up, I am swamped right now.
I may have to recruit some help if things keep going like this.LOL!!!
:)

Is there anyone who has this done (just the removal) that can testify to the gains? What do you lose? I have several mods to my car and this looks like a good one for when I tear it apart to reseal it. I worked for Ford for years and they are not in business to help out the HP for stock cars, but there has to be a reason for the triangle.

Chris

Back