Timing chain - Tough job or a DIY'er.

tbirdboy

Think mine is a bit stretched, part throttle pinging has been nagging me for a while now after all the work I've done (believe me, everything) so I checked it out and the t-chain seems the likely culprit as it has been doing this since I bought the car.

Not quite sure whether I should farm it out or tackle this myself as I dont have the best working enviroment.

Thanks for the time.

its not an easy job for the entry level SC guy. Basically all the accessories need to come off, the balancer, water pump, pull the rad. ect. Its not hard, but a lot of work. I dunno if its the timing chain, because our cars have a tensioner that'll take up any slack in the chain. I'd point my finger at something smaller like good quality plugs (not bosch), wires, good fuel...small things like that. Maybe sensors as well. But i think i would rule out the timing chain theory.

Part throttle pining is not timing chain. If you do a mechanical cold timing check and things are off then inspect the balancer. The SC has a tensioner on the timing chain that will prevent the timing to be off significantly unless the chain physically breaks. You also might have carbon build up on the valves or pistons causing hot spots.

I doubt very much it's the timing chain. If you replace the cahin do the balancer and tensioner at the same time. Also this would be a good time to do the crank sensor as well.

Jerry

What Jerry said. There is extremely small chance that anything is wrong with the timing chain. Even if it were badly stretched, it would retard timing, not cause pinging. Get a cooler spark plug and make sure your EGR is working.

Back