Computer Chip: To do or not to do

1QuikV6

Id like to get a computer chip for a 90 SC auto, is it a good idea? If so what do they do , how do they help, and what type should I look into getting?

Brandon West
NKFD

So you'd like to get one, but don't know what they do, or if they help, or if it's a good idea?

Then how did you decide you want one? :confused:

My point is, most people decide they need a chip or EEC-tuner for some particular reason, such as switching to a different MAF or injector size, or wanting to tweak timing and fuel curves for dyno tuning, or something like that. On later model SC's you can also make changes to the transmission. So if you need to do that kind of stuff, then a chip or EEC-tuner is needed, otherwise it's not.

I have read where Brian can get you better fuel economy and more HP with a chip. So its not a bad idea for even a stock engine. do a search on the topic a number of guys have chips in stock rides.

So you'd like to get one, but don't know what they do, or if they help, or if it's a good idea?

I meant more specifically SCs. I know what a chip does but wanted to know if it was a good idea for an SC and at what mod stage would it benefit me the most. The car Im considering doing it to is a 90 SC auto with 2 1/2 true duals, magnaflow res, and 2 Flowmaster single chambers. It also has a 10% underdrive pulley, and a Cold Air w/ Cone Filter.

Wezar~ I appreciate it, Ill do a search and see what i come up with. Thanks!

Brandon
NKFD

Brandon,

Until you reach the point of doing stuff that effects the Air fuel ratio like adding a ported blower, better cam or larger injectors the chip won't do very much.

If your planning to make the kind of mods I mentioned above, wait until you upgrade the fuel system. If you just want to maximize what you have now, the chip can do that too. It's just not a very cost effective mod on a mostly stock SC.

David

PS: Talk to Brian at Apten...he can explain it much better.

Back