Coolant leak... where might it be coming from?

SilverCoupe

Ok, so I've been losing coolant recently and now that the weather is nicer I've had a chance to try and figure out where exactly my coolant is going. I had thought it may have been headgaskets at first, but after looking in my oil it doesnt appear so.

I went out today, jacked up the car and inspected my main hoses coming from the radiator... all good there, no leaks. However, I did notice a pretty bad leak... the coolant is collecting on the K-member and on the oil pan and dripping off... it's all over the lines by the oil filter and stuff and the conduit the runs on the K-member. Curious, I checked to see if I could pinpoint where exactly it was originating from. Unsatisfied with my inability to tell exaclty where it was coming from, I went out and drove the car, long enough it should have reached operating temp and then did a flat-out pull to about 90mph.

I pulled up in my driveway and took another look. I noticed that coolant was dripping off the K-Member now at a pretty good rate, enough to make a small puddle underneath the car. I also noticed that the coolant in the little filler tank was overflowing a bit. Both of the radiator hoses were hot.

So, anyway, I did a search and didn't find much on my problem, however I did find a few posts that suggested my problem may be the timing chain cover or maybe the waterpump. I'm really stumped though. Any ideas what the problem may be? Is it most likely my timing chain cover that's leaking the coolant, or are there some smaller coolant hoses that I'm overlooking?

Thanks,
Mike

TIMING COVER :)

if you searched you would see my post lol, I had a mechanic pressure test and yea its leaking out, I had the same problem as you, for months I would lose coolant but not that much but now it comes out baddly and its def the timing cover... sorry man but now you can replace that worn out timing chain and gears and crap and get a new water pump.

I got a new balencer and everything, my car goes in Monday for the repairs... I didnt want to attempt this myself.

Besides, why take a bunch of guesses what it might be, call up your mechanic, say you have a coolant leak that you would like diagnoised, cost me nothing, they told me it was the timing cover, I know all mechanics dont diagnosis for free but try to find one.

Just curious... (hope you don't mind me asking), but how much is the repair going to run you and what all parts will it entail? I'd like to do this repair myself, but if the labor price isn't too bad I'd rather have someone else do the work.

Is it coming from the right or left side? Go to the highest point you can SEE the coolant and run your fingers over that. If its dry its driping from above if its wet its running from above. Run your fingers in the water pump pully and see if its wet. There is a WEEP hole for the thing when the pump goes bad. Its on the nose of the water pump and leaks there. Also look at your t-stat housing.

Chris

I spent $600 in parts and labor should run me $600-700

:(

I got a BHJ Balencer, New timing chain, New Crank and Cam Gears and a Waterpump

2 years ago my 90 SC started leaking a little coolant while stored for the winter, just left a little puddle on the ground. I jacked it up and slid underneath with a light and a rag and cleaned all the coolant off that had run down along the crossmember, etc... then started it up and layed under it with it running... NO LEAK!.....so I figured it was just residual from when i flushed and refilled the coolant prior to storage. Next day the puddle is back so i got under it again and saw coolant running down the right front of the block....looked like it was coming from where the timing cover mates to the block. Checked the timing cover bolts and they were ALL loose!.. Not really loose but i easily got half a turn on all the bolts i could get to. there were 2 on the left side that were innaccessable without removing the PS pump but the leak was on the right so i just tightened all the ones i could get to ( i did take the belts off and the water pump pulley off too ). Anyway i dont think the timing cover has ever been removed to i guess the gasket just compressed or the bolts loosened a little over time, with the heating up and cooling down... It's been 2 years and not a sign of a coolant leak since.

Back