PDA

View Full Version : AOD for 92 SC

Reylene
03-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Does anyone know how to tell if trans is an SC AOD?

Let me re-phase my question. I have a trans (auto) that supposedly came out of a 89-92 SC and I want to verify that this trans is actually an AOD SC trans. I believe that if it is an AOD SC trans it supposed to have an "A" stamp or marking on the trans. Does anyone know if this is true and where it is located on trans?

trife86
03-09-2004, 06:42 PM
if its a 1992 and its a automatic its a AOD

Reylene
03-10-2004, 08:09 AM
Let me re-phase my question. I have a trans (auto) that supposedly came out of a 89-92 SC and I want to verify that this trans is actually an AOD SC trans. I believe that if it is an AOD SC trans it supposed to have an "A" stamp or marking on the trans. Does anyone know if this is true and where it is located on trans?

ibew112
03-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Ford made one aod from 1989 to 1993 ? the later year they swithed to aode cause the aod is crap.......lol for our supercoupes anyway, so if it has a tag on the snout that says PKA-C38 it is a ford AOD from 1989-1993, I could be wrong but I really doubt it.
just looked through my service manual and fords aod rebuild book and if you find an A stamped anywhere on the tag it is a month code for the year it was built. I think I will become a tranny guy now that I see all us SC Owners are willing to pay 3000 for a tranny and a torque converter, especially when you can rebuild your own for $200-300 that includes a higher stall converter that will handle 500 HP............. Tired of getting ripped off from your friends ? Brother !!!!

Dogleg
03-16-2004, 12:13 AM
The "A" you are in search of is on the reverse servo. To verify this you must remove the pan, filter, and finally the valve body. It should not take long to remove.

A word of caution, the bolts must be torqued to spec and in sequence when reinstalling the valve body.

Reylene
03-16-2004, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the info, I'll look for "A" on the reverse servo.:)

ThunderTurkey
03-16-2004, 05:20 PM
I see all us SC Owners are willing to pay 3000 for a tranny and a torque converter, especially when you can rebuild your own for $200-300 that includes a higher stall converter that will handle 500 HP............. Tired of getting ripped off from your friends ? Brother !!!!

I have always owned Thunderbirds, from the 1955 with a telescoping steering wheel on up. I believe the Supercoupes are the BEST. However, at my age I am at the mercy of whatever mechanic is working on my car.
Conversely, I'll tell you a secret . . . . a root-canal can be done for about $50. if you do it yourself!
:D

ibew112
03-25-2004, 01:14 AM
A root canal can be done yourself, point well taken.

I am cracking open another tranny in the near future from a non SC I will look for the A on the R servo, if this is the case then the tag mystery will be solved for me, I had a tag that said PKA-EL2, and my service manual said that the tag would say PKA-C38 for the AOD, I had just pulled it off my SC and figured it was a replacement from an earlier year, the reverse servo did have an A on it, so possibly the tag at the snout being different from the service manual for fords aods just meant aod, and come to think of it there is a Large A on the body of the tranny, like 3" large ill double check that and repost