is this right?!

aitkenstyle

monday as in yesterday i had a half a tank i went to school and came home. which isnt that far at all. i did it today too. My gas is completely gone. Should that be happening? I know the car sucks gas but i dident think it was that bad.

im getting preeety bad mileage also right now replaced the fuel filter, that didnt help... my mechanic cant find anything that would be causing it. im usually getting 8mpg

Anybody siphoning your gas?
Car running OK?

Doubt this is your problem, but I'll throw it out there just incase...
My IAC went REALLY bad, and the injectors were dumping tons of fuel into the engine to compensate for false reading from the IAC. Got about 1 mile to the gallon. It was pretty obvious though with the strong fuel smell and smoke coming out the tailpipes...

aitkenstyle said:
anyone know what it could be 75 bux a week for gas isnt fun.

I run 3-500 miles a day and I have a hard time to get it over $100 a week.

Check Engine light on? Fuel smell? See any leakage under the car? How's it run? Powerful? Sluggish? Run rough?

Seriously, there are a lot of possibilities. If the CE light is on the first thing to do would be to check for codes. Might start with that anyway since we need some place to start.

ive noticed the car IS running sluggish and deefantely isnt as quick as it used to be. Check engine light comes on alot. I DO smell fuel alot on the inside and out of the car.. There is no leakage. when i rev it one side of the exhaust will leave a big black spot on the ground.

thansk for the help guys anyone know what this could be?

Like Parker said, If your CEL comes on, then you need to get the codes. Do you have a scanner? Autozone or others MIGHT test it for free, but a scanner from Walmart or somewhere is a must tool for your car. Should only be like $30 for an "Actron" or something. Run codes and post, and we'll help you figure it out.
Do you get a weird "dying goose honk" or "Burp" when you shut off your car?

it shuts down real hard it'll like pop and make some other noises that are hard to type out on a computer lol. I'll go get that done today... im at school right now.

The run-on you're getting sounds like it might be the fuel pump or fuel relay trying to deliver more fuel when the engine is shutting down.

If you are getting some backfiring too, it could be "fouled" injectors.

Like the other guys said, get the codes to diagnose.

could be a stuck fuel pressure regulator. Common problem with Fords in general and the stock FPR on the SC is the same as many other fords. Check for codes even if there is not a check engine light, there could still be codes in memory.

ok guys i went and got the code scanned from my friends dad who knows what hes doing... heres the codes it pulled:
13 34 19 anyone know how these effect the sc??

any help would be greatly appeciated

Thanks!
Mitchell

hey did you ever check 02 sensors? this is from mn12 performance
13: RPM unable to reach lower test limit
34: Defective PFE sensor
19: CID sensor input failed
i would think 02 sensor like i told you last time, but it wasnt one of the codes. im not sure what these mean but im sure someone else will tell you in a little bit.

EDIT: mn12 has two definitions for code 34, the 2nd is excessive exhaust back pressure, are you running real high boost???

92redsc said:
hey did you ever check 02 sensors? mn12 has two definitions for code 34, the 2nd is excessive exhaust back pressure, are you running real high boost???

He's running a 10% SC Pulley 92redsc.

Hope you changed your exhaust system when you put that pulley on..seen many O' people blowing HG's with a 10% and stock exhaust...
What RPM's does your car idle at?

Sluggish, poor economy, PFE sensor high. Sounds like clogged exhaust, which might also account for some of the odd noises mentioned.

Have you replaced the head gaskets but did not change the catalytic converters?

If so, this may be the reason your exhaust is clogged.

I am not running that 10% pulley. I dont have exhaust yet. I dident get to buying that stuff becasue I need to fix my car first. I dont think the exhaust has ever been changed. Or the cats for that matter. But liek i said it is blowing black smoke that stains my driveway.. but its only coming out of the drives side.

Do you think this could be an EGR problem?

EDIT: yes the headgaskets have been changed.

The colour of the exhaust helps us diagnose possible problems:

Black smoke = unburnt fuel, rich mixture. Could be injectors, o2 sensors, maybe EGR.

Blue smoke = oil. Weak rings, lack of compression.

White smoke = water. Blown headgaskets.

I assume you are running the stock exhaust (2 pipes from manifolds, connected to a single pipe to a resonator, then splits to 2 pipes out to mufflers and tail pipe). That being the case, I would assume both pipes should show black smoke unless the passenger side tail pipe or muffler is clogged. It's hard to diagnose which side may have a problem with cats or injectors just from the exhaust.

When headgaskets blow, coolant gets into the fuel and can get into the cats (and clog them) and foul the O2 sensors.

Hope this helps

Steve has a good point about that exhaust spewing black smoke on one side as stock exhaust does go to one pipe and back to two. If smoke is coming out one pipe, then one is definately clogged, IF factory exhasut.

Not sure if this will work with a clogged exhaust but, just to rule out the IAC and won't cost anything to try, start your car after putting the O2's back in and unplug your IAC Valve which is on the TB. See if engine dies, if it doesn't and just makes a weird howling sound, then it is possible the IAC is shot. (When mine went bad, It was dumping huge amounts of fuel into the combustion chamber and had a strong RICH fuel smell that would make a guy faint..then the EEC would take information from the IAC saying it was closed when it is actually open, and richen up the fuel mixture to compensate, yet the O2's are telling the EEC that the exhaust gasses are too rich. It is getting conflicting information from the O2's and the IAC and can't run properly. Be simple to rule out that IAC theory.

Back