Mark VIII Questions

SC UL8R1990

1) Are Mark VIII's Reliable?

2) Any Tranny Problems?

3) What is an LSC and how do you tell?

4) Do Mark VIII's cost more to be fixed , since it is lincoln?

thanks
walter

1) Are Mark VIII's Reliable?
Yes, they are just as reliable as any other car out there. The DOHC 4.6L is almot bullet proof. They do have common issues with the suspension, but can easily be fixed.

2) Any Tranny Problems?
Not really. MLP Sensors are notorious on them. Early models need the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator pistons changed like any Ford with a 4r70W. They had better TC's then the Thunderbirds and Cougars.

3) What is an LSC and how do you tell?
Specific model made from 1996-1998. Dual exhuast, monotone paint, perforated leather, and badges. Good for an additional 10 HP stock. See above to tell if it's an LSC.

4) Do Mark VIII's cost more to be fixed , since it is lincoln?
Yes, the parts can cost more. For whatever reason, they do. However they aren't any harder to work on then any other car.

Check out MARK VIII FORUMS for all sorts of info. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thomas

I have a 1995 Mark VIII and to be honest, it's been a bit costly to maintain in the 4 or 5 months that I've owned it. But then again, mine wasn't in the greatest shape when I bought it, so it may be a special case. The air struts will eventually go bad, and factory replacements are $500 a pair. I've never actually heard of a DOHC 4.6L failure that wasn't due to negligence or modifications, so they are pretty much bullet proof. And if you do what Thomas said, keep the fluid fresh, and maybe even perform the Jerry-mod, the tranny should last you a good long time. They're cool cars though, and if you can tolerate the occasional quirkiness and don't beat the hell out of it, one should serve you well.

The air struts will eventually go bad, and factory replacements are $500 a pair.
Very true. 9 times out of 10, you will have air ride problems. However there is an alterantive to factory replacements. I will be changing all of my suspension shortly for about $500 for front and back.

Thomas

thanks alot guys. ive been doing some reading and you guys nailed it right on. The suspension is a bit of a pain in the butt and the tranny needs the typical crapola. After getitn the tranny rebuilt and throwing on a tranny cooler....how long should it last if not beatin on? Another 45-65k miles?

these mark VIII's are really interesting me, and the interior is awesome too......droooool

these mark VIII's are really interesting me, and the interior is awesome too......droooool

mmmmm...buttons. If you get the tranny rebuilt correctly and don't beat on it, it should live as long as the rest of the car. There's a guy on the Mark VIII forums with like 200k+ miles on his original tranny, and he takes it to the track regularly.

luxury sport coupe! yhose have sweet (flourescent)lights on the trunklid. i had a 93 lsc and it had the 5.0HO motor w/headers.

I'm on my 2nd 98 LSC. .. Best car I've owned. Drive it over 100 miles round trip to and from work everyday & never feel uncomfortable. The only problem that seemed to get me on both cars was 2 coil packs on the first one. And 1 coil pack on the second car. Other than that, no issues.

Anthony

Attachments

• 000_0118.jpg
    000_0118.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
The only other problem is the parts. They really are expensive. Try & get a replacement light on the trunk lid. It's $850 from the dealer & other than a junk yard, you can't get them. Headlights or sideviews go for over $200 a piece.

Really expensive, but well worth it.

Attachments

• 000_0107.jpg
    000_0107.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 103
yhose have sweet (flourescent)lights on the trunklid. i had a 93 lsc and it had the 5.0HO motor w/headers.

Only the '97-'98 Mark VIII's had the neon taillights. They weren't flourescent. Second, they didn't even make a LSC in 1993, and Mark VIII's never came with 5.0L engines. Perhaps you are reffering to a 1992 Mark VII.

Thomas

Last edited:
Not Teasing. ..... Persuading! :D

If you get one in good shape, you won't be sorry. It really is a nice car. I would definitely look for a 97 or 98 LSC with less than 60 or 70k miles. You could probably pick one like that up for anywhere from 6 to 10k. Let us know what you end up with.

Anthony

Back