gears question

92redsc

i have heard a bunch of dif. opionions on rear end gears for a 5 speed sc between 3.08s and 3.27s. what would be the best for a stock car now, but has plans to mod it pretty well in the future (mid-low 14s by the end of this summer, high 13s next year)??? i also want very good highway gas, can some of you guys with 327s tell me what gas you are getting? thanks

Anyone??? i also race top-end alot (dangerous, i know) and i want to still be able to hit about 150 top end 155 if at all possible, and still have good quarter times. can 3.27 gears on a 5 speed still hit 150? thanks

EDIT: sorry, one more Q, how much do you think someone would charge to instal rear end gears, if i brought in just the pumpkin? would a transmission shop do it or what?

well

a stock sc will do 145, and im not saying stock, i will have it modified, it will be able to pull to the top of the last gear as i will have about 300 HP so i just want to make sure the 3.27s have that high of a top end, YA DIG????? lol

3.27's with stock sized tires will put you at 4642 rpm's in 5th gear at 150mph. You would top out at about 165mph unless you want to run the rpm's higher then 5100. I think you will also reach your areodymanic limit also.

Go with the 3.27's. You will have all the top end you can ever use with the low end grunt to go with it.

Gear Ratio Calculator

In 89-93 the M5R2 had the following gear ratios:
1st Gear- 3.75
2nd Gear- 2.32
3rd Gear- 1.43
4th Gear- 1.00
5th Gear- .75

Thomas

Assuming you are running stock sized tires and you don't want to rev your car past 5200rpm, you can still reach 33mph in first gear. In 5th gear at 70mph, your RPM's would be right at 2166. If you use the calculator that I posted in my previous post, you can figure all of that out. You can figure out top speed in each gear, or what your rpm's will be at any given mph.

Thomas

Back