Just HOW fast

1QuikV6

I know somewhere theres been a post like this but Im just curious because I havent seen one in a LONG while.

Just how fast have you been in your SC? Please list your year, trans, and how u know the speed if its over the 120 for the early SC speedos and 140 for the 94/95.

The thing that sparked this was a friends opinion and bragging that his SHO has top end over an SC. he said a SHO could hit 140 easy, I call bull on that one.

Fastest Ive ever been in an SC is 120 and it was enough for me ;) Maybe because it was it was an 89 with 178k miles and needed a front end alignment.:D

1991 SC Auto...120+ *however not sure how much over I was doing.

Basically when I had my dash apart for the white face guages...I got it up to 120...the needle dipped past it and then I kept going...I actually had my needle spin all the way around to 0 on the speedo. Did this in my 90 LX too...its good stuff.

-Tim

My friend had a 91 SHO and we both took them out one night and on our way home from the street races we found ourselves on a divided two lane highway, so we flipped on the brights, got next to each other and started going. My speedometer pegged and we kept going. He flipped his dome light and signaled to me w/ his fingers, 1, 4, 0.

This was when my SC was stock except for an SCP fresh air intake and removed cats. Stock exhaust, stock gears.

The SHO would take my SC in the 1/4 mile every time since the SC would just spin the tires off if I launched it hard. If I had some drag radials it'd been a different story. The SHO had an exhaust and K&N filter w/ modified air box.

Then I got my 90 SC AOD and put the intake on it, larger MAF, and shift kit. And raced the SHO and won. I was sure my 92 is faster than my 90 however the auto is much easier to launch.

Now my 92 has 3.27's, catless down tubes, flowmaster force 2 exhaust system, 10% pulley, ripper shifter, ZR intake w/ 9" filter, 190 lph fuel pump, brass synchros in the trans, and wider 245/50 series tires. My friend sold the SHO so we'll never know. Maybe his was a factory freak but that car was seriously quick. It'd launch at 4k and run to 7.5k before he'd grab the next gear.

I had calculated roughly 146mph in my old SC at 5200rpms in 5th gear on a 90 with 3.55's.. The upshift light came on and i went to shift into 6th but well.. LoL

Not sure, but should've been around 130 by the rate the RPM's continued to climb after pegging 120. Perfect conditions, BTW, could see well over a mile up the road, no wind, on a bridge (nothing to walk out in front), seperate bridge from oncoming traffic, so I was boxed in. I wasn't about to go higher than that, it I only got up there for a second before dropping back down. It was still climbing pretty steadily when I let up.

and I've got this too. This is 4th gear with a good bit of room before 5th:

545816_10_full.jpg

No, neither one of those times was "smart" but in general I take it very easy on the car and baby it.

I had 138 on the GPS with my 89 5 speed with 2.73's. I know that I have been faster than that, but that is the only verified speed I have been.

On the Dyno, it topped out 140 at 4800 RPM in 4th gear. I wonder with no drag what 5th gear would do.

-Steve

My car had 5 people in it and I was in the back seat. I bet my buddy that he couldn't hit 130, but I got proved wrong! My car was stock except for a K&N filter.

I was well past 120 in my Cougar when I was "schooling" a guy in a 2002 Monte Carlo not to mess with me. Long story short, we had about 5 miles of open road on I-25 giong to Denver, he flicks me off for some unknown reason, I drop it in 3rd, take off, he tries to follow but I think his car cut out at about 130-135..And that was the last time I saw him. Oh, and I was halfway thru 4th when I left him behind.

Stephen

top speed 147MPH

longest speed run was on south I-75 in KY, on July 3rd, 2003. Went 210 miles in less than 1 hr 35 mins

Fastest trips in SC;
Bristol, Tenn to Dayton, ohio in 5.5 hrs and Cinn., Ohio to Broxi, Miss. in 8.75hours

Fastest Ive been in my 94 LX is of course its governed speed which read 110 on my speedo. I ran a stretch of I-64 from Hampton,VA to Richmond, VA in 30min. I never dipped under 90 and that was for a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP who apparently didnt know what he was driving. Other than that I bounced off the governor 5 or 6 times.

Fastest Ive been in the 88 GT is 140 I guess considering thats all it reads. I hit 140 in 5th turning 4000 and when I let off it was hovering at around 4500. I have no idea how fast that is but a Five-O sounds SOOOOO good turning those kinds of rpms.:D

JAFO~ Ahh, jus put her in 5th and let her rock on.:rolleyes:

94 SC Auto = 145Mph
89 XR-7 5Spd. = 145 Mph

that's the fasted both my xr7 and my buddies 94 auto have gone.
was last spring break, and we went out to the boonies to race just for the hell of it. The road has at least 5 miles of perfectly straight, flat, clean road surface and nobody ever drives there....

we both started and just kept going, i was ~2 cars ahead of him when my upshift light came on in fourth and scared me half to death with that annoying buzz that it makes, after that i shifted to fifth, by that time we were even and just kept going. after we both shut down and coasted to stop i asked him how fast we were going(didnt have my 145 speedo then) and he said hi speedo was pegged!!

anyways, as for SHO's doing 140+ i can testify that they do!
a buddy and myself were cruising in his 92 MTX Sho and decided to just go fast. going up a 6 degree bank we got it to 135 mph! then when the road leveled out we got it to tip 140 before he sut it down. SHO's sound AWESOME when they're Revving 6000 Rpm in 4th!

Andrew:cool:

dont know if you guys are talking stock or modified cars
but after my motor was done with 3.27gear-160-161mph
yep -once doing that was enough 4 me

Top Speeds

I was on I80 west, counting myself, there was four people in the car. Between the I57-I80 interchange to our exit is a good 3-4 miles at best. Hit 145 without any problems. On the way back, topped 151mph, just myself in the car. I know the gauge cluster stops at 145, but the needle kept going. This was also whe my car was still stock, with the addition of a k&n conical filter. Even I was amazed.

I have heard about some cars not having the limiter when they were suppose to. I have also heard with some cars you can get by it either coming up on it quickly or very slowly creeping past the limiter. I don't know, but I have heard that about a few different cars.

-Steve

I've had my SC up to 135 on a deserted highway, got up there pretty fast and chickened out. I had my mom's cobra convt. up to 145 even faster with the top down and REALLY chickened out! (she'd kill me if she knew;) )

alot of vehicles claim to be governed but all the vehicles that i have owned (92 Lx 3.8 mildly modded, 94 mazda b4000 SE) and now the SC seem to jus keep go'n and go'n i've burried the needle in all of these vehicles and the only reason i've backed off wuz because that redline wuz come'n up quick wut wuz suprising wuz how fast that truck wuz with jus an exhaust and intake i've been about 110 in it and that wuz scary as hell, the Sc is damn fast i know i've been 130+ stock..

SeafoodSC said:
89_Red_Xr7

94 Auto SC's are governed to approx. 126 mph.
Did that guy ditch the speed limiter or something?

Yeah, at the time he had a chip with removed limiters and some custom fan settings along with a removed resonator. i had my pulley and exhaust.

Andrew

Hey Kwick my speedo barley hit 120 with 3:55's in my 89 5-speed. But with the 3:08's I would almost peg the speedo in 3rd and then go all the way through 4th and then have 5th up to around 4300 -4700 rpms, been a while so don't remember fully.

94-95 5 speeds do not have speed goveners. Only the autos do. My 94 tops out at 126. get there real quick and starts to spit when spark and fuel are cut. Be glad you autos are speed governed or you might be wearing a drive shaft.

Back