Little help with pulley puller

ipeefreely

Hi guys, I need help with the pulley puller. I am trying to take off my power steering pulley with a puller kit I rented. The problem is it seems like the puller part is slightly too big and it can't grip enough or maybe the pulley is really stuck on their. The puller part is making gouges in the pulleys lock thing.

Does anyone have any suggestion to make this work. I was thinking about going to get another kit because this one may have been use too many times and its stretched or something. If the key thing is stuck on is there a way to loosen it up?:confused:

Here's a pic of the kit, the pulley puller slipping (?) and what it’s doing to the pulley lock thing.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jay

Attachments

• pulley puller.jpg
    pulley puller.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 206
the puller part should have two different diameter slots to pull the pulley off of the pump with. use the smaller of the two slots on the pulley groove, and the larger slot on the tool.

also, make sure that you keep the puller part of the tool as tight the pulley groove as you can.

Autozone sells one like this. The puller part is at the bottom, the pusher is at the top. The puller has 2 semi circles which fit over the lip of the pulley and a circular ring to hold it together while you apply force. They run about $30, but as an SC owner, seems like you're always pulling the tubes off, so you will get your moneys worth. Azone also loans out a similar kit.

Attachments

• pulleytool1.jpg
    pulleytool1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 183
Jay - that looks like the right tool, but not exactly the right one, if you know what I mean. You need one with a smaller cup that fits closer to the pulley and is made of 2 semi-circular pieces. I don't like the way that one only fits around 2/3rds of the pulley lip. As far as I recall all the tools to fit the Ford pumps are the same as the KD one I have. Even then they are very tough to get off. Last time I did mine to change my water pump on my '93 I damaged the threads on the main stem & the insert.
Jim.

Thanks

Thanks guys for the replies. I am going to go to Nappa tomorrow and pick one up from them. I hope I will work better. Does anyone know the part # for that pulley lock thing? It would be nice to replace it with a new one since it looks like I am an idiot and tied to take it off with a hammer or somthing!:rolleyes:

Thanks again:)

Jay

Back