question about removing manual trans in 90. asap

slipcoupe

im removing the trans in my 90 sc and theres a line going into it on the drivers side. i guess its for the clutch. but i can not figure out how to get it off. can anyone help.. i need answers asap please. thanks - mike

Right where it goes into the trans, there's a metal coupling and inside it there is a white plastic ring that must be pushed towards the trans as evenly as you can (there is a special tool for this job but I did it with 2 little screw drivers) while you pull out on the metal coupling. Sort of like taking off gas or AC lines.
Good luck

alright thanks ill try that tomorrow when i go to the shop. i tried using vice grips to get it off and it started to leak. so what can i use to repair the line? thanks - mike

that line costs $80 or so from ford. i don't believe it can be fixed.

don't ask me how i know.

luckily i found a used one for $20 at the time :D

:mad:

Jeff

Last edited:
ok well after getting fed up with it i just cut the line, since the end was already messed up. got the trans out. now the big question is, how do get the other end off? the one thats in the engine bay? i dont think its screwed in. i tried a screwdriver. there has to be a special way to get it off. HOPEFULLY. well any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks - mike

The other end is held in the master cylinder by a rolled steel pin that is pressed in. The pin needs to be pressedd out, and the line removed / replaced and the pin pressed back in.

With as much room as there is to work I think it is nearly impossible to do this in the vehicle. What you will need to do is remove the master cylinder with the line attached, replace the line, then reinstall them together.

To remove the master you need to pry the push rod off the clutch pedal (and no break any of THOSE plastic clips, they are probably brittle, and are very difficult to get) then twist the whole master cylinder counter clockwise about 45 degrees and pull it out, probably with the rubber hose and fluid resivior attached too. Don't break the fluid resivior either I think those are unavailable now too.

Seriously, what were you doing with vice grips? As I'm sure you already know all that did was cost you an extra $100 (so far) and twice as much work.

For future reference, everyone listen! , if you need to get the trans out and can't get the hose off, this is what you do. Hit the frigging slave cylinder port where the hose attaches with a hammer and break it off. Then, once the trans is out of the way, you can use a dremel tool or whatever to get the broken part off the hose without damaging it.

That way all you need to replace is the slave cylinder, which probably should be replaced anyway, and is cheaper than the hose too. Plus with the trans out you have room to work on that end of the hose as opposed to F-ing around pulling the master cylinder out and breaking a bunch more unavailable parts.

alright man thanks. didnt mean to get you mad or anything, lol. ill try that tomorrow. the guy said at the transmission shop that the master is held on by two bolts, but also he didnt know much about SC's.

another thing, when i took my exhaust off, i broke the heads of the studs off of the manifolds.. my dad said it would screw up the computer and stuff if i replaced it with a nut and bolt. he said i need to press new studs in. what do you think? thanks. mike

Ha! Why should I be upset? It's your car you broke.

I guess I did get a little overzealous. I've had to deal with too many people lately who feel brute force is the answer to disassembling everything.

Nope, no bolts holding the master. But like I said there is a metal clip and plastic bushing holding the pushrod on the pedal that need to be removed, and they are hard to get so be careful. Also watch the clutch switch on the other side of the pedal. Once When taking off the Master I got the clutch switch a bit out of line and the clip holding it shattered the first time I pushed the clutch, that I was lucky enough to find in a junkyard since the dealer couldn't get it and parts stores were clueless.

The fluid reservior on the drivers side shock tower can probably be removed with everything easier than disconnectin it. It is just held on by two plastic push clips (christmas trees) if you carefully pry right under these clips you should be able to get it off.

Asd far as the exhaust, a nut and bolt should be just fine as long as you can get it to seal. These studs do not press in, rather they screw into tapped holes in the manifold casting. I broke one of mine and took it to an exhaust shop to let the professionals fix. They drilled it out and put a nut and bolt on.

I found the easiest way to take the hose out of the master cylinder if to put a drill bit that is the same size as the pin in there and squeeze a wrench against it, thereby pushing the pin out slowly enough that it doesnt fall out and you lose it. Its also pretty good for getting it back in.

Back