Brake Agony

H GREENLEY

I needs some thoughts on what could be going on.

My brakes will not charge right away. It takes about five minutes when the car hasn't been driven for some time. When the ( antilock ) light goes out I am able to go about my business around town, but when I get on the highway and not use to brakes for five or ten minutes the ( antilock ) light comes on and I have a hard brake pedal with little stopping power. Once I am using the brakes often again the system recharges, antilock goes out and I have good brakes again. This has been a consistent pattern for the last week. The ( actuator ) was rebuilt about two year ago but the car hasn't been driven for about a year until last month.

Any ideas on what could be or not be happening.

Actuator motor going bad? Or
Accumulator

I'm cerainly no expert on the abs system--but I seem to recall
a abs pressure switch that malfunctions or goes bad on these
maybe thats your problem
g/l

Brianas said:
I'm cerainly no expert on the abs system--but I seem to recall
a abs pressure switch that malfunctions or goes bad on these
maybe thats your problem
g/l
Not a bad suggestion. But 1st I'd just change out the pump relay w/o so much as a second thought. They are cheap and do fail and could cause the pump not to run. From there, I'd then look at the pressure switch.

Thanks for the insite guys.

Does anyone know where I can get the pressure warning switch and relay. Or do I have to go to ford for them.

Ahhhh the ABS Gremlin has bitten you

Copied from a previous discussion I posted:

GM Part #25530882 "Pressure Switch" (May not show up on "Part # Search) Think they are $84.00 now from http://www.buy-gm-parts.com/
Shipping will run $12 - $25 depending on how fast you want it.
Click on "OEM Catalog" choose "1988 Buick REATTA" and then in the Brakes" section choose "Anti Lock" then "Pressure Switch". OR just email them the part number direct. They shipped it out in two days to me, just UPS took forever.
Email: parts@crowncadillacolds.com OR call Keith at 1-888-337-1094 ext-1127
They may ask for a VIN #, so calling them might work better. Keith will understand if you talk to him and tell him it's for the 89-93 Ford Supercoupe w/ same brake system as the 88 Buick Reatta w/ ABS. Mine has been in and no leaks for two months. Works good!......

Try the relay FIRST as TBirdSCFan said, they are cheap and an easy fix. You can get one at most autoparts stores. The Pressure Switch on the other hand :rolleyes: Arghh!!! Read above

Last edited:
Back