A.B.S. P.O.S. Part 2 please read

tek2

For all you guys waitin for me to finish my project im done and all i can really say is it works! i got a master cylinder and booster from a junk yard went to smileys performance supply in the woodlands "just north of houston texas and got a "T"
for my brake lines, i got 2 stainles braided hoses about 14" long and some other assorted fittings including a # 4 A-N "T" and some # 4 barbed vaccume fittings for the booster i pulled the abs yup my pump was shot in only worked when it felt like turning on and it made a pretty loud noise when it did...anyways putting the booster in was fun haha i had to pull the whole windshield wiper assembly out ...after i got that in i plumbed in the brake lines to the T oh yeah some of the reducers off the abs unit will come in handy here . then i hooked up the booster to the vacume tree and filled up the cylinder and left it sit over night the next day i bled the front and got alot of air before good fluid came out i tried to do the back but we got a nice driveway and i didnt want puddles all over the place so the pedal is a little spongy til i get the time to get it on a lift..anyways it works fine stops pretty short not like the tevis system did but i wasnt really expecting it to be better just more reliable until i can get a new pump the only drawback is the arc doesnt kick in under heavy braking but if your screwin off you should have it on anyways well for less than 200 bucks i have a reliable fix too bad just after i fixed it i got a flat and now i need tires...it just never ends for all the people who said it didnt work that was in theory i dont even have any idiot lights you guys tried to make it sound so hard im 21 and an electrician not a mechanic but i got alot of performace building backround i played with mustangs for years so my guinie pig survived so anyone have any questions just E-mail me thanks for your input!

oh yea

i had to use a fitting off the old master cylinder "the lines were cut at the junk yard" to get one of the front lines to work all you need is a tubing cutter and a flaring tool " Happy Hacking" haha

Glad to hear you got it working. Not everyone disagreed with you on this one. In fact there are a couple others who have done the same or similar thing.

One thing to keep in mind, the stock non- ABS system is diagonally split so that the LF and RR are common, and the RF and LR are also common inside the master cylinder. When you joined the two rears with a T you made the whole system common. Not that this is a terrible thing, but you need to realize that the factory designed backup safety feature has been disabled.

I will be curious to hear your reports of braking performance after you get all the air out of the system. There have been concerns voiced about front to rear balance with the system you now have. Do some hard braking and see if you get premature lock up. If your brakes do not seem as good with this system as they were with the ABS, then it is pretty safe to assume that you are not getting adequate pressure to the rears. I would expect that if that is the case you will find that the front rotors may warp easily.

Just some questions and some things to keep in mind. Either way, I am glad it is working for you.

Back