New here, Please help

Mont

I just got my first SC and so far I love it. I bought a 1990 dark blue auto SC for under $500 because the supercharger is bad. The car looks GREAT and runs great even for not having a blower that works? What do I need to look out for with this car and where can i find a good supercharger and other parts beside here at SCCOA. Any help would be great, Thanks Monte

Monte,

Whats wrong with the supercharger you have now ? If your looking for a used replacment, you can get them for $150 to $200 in good condition. Just post that your looking for an early model (89-93) supercharger in the classified section.

You can also send your supercharger to Magnum Powers for rebuilding.

David

Last edited:
If the supercharger is noisy it may just need a new coupler. You can find them on Ebay for about $25 and you can easily replace them yourself.

Well all my other supercharged cars are a little different then the bird. The SC's are much more complex. Mine isn't making any noise but is only reads about 3 lb of boost, I also have checked for any leaks and can't find any. And a car with a supercharged 3.8 it's sad. How much boost do these things make? I have been told that there are different superchargers? Mine is a 90 so can I use a 89 or a 91 ?. Thanks for your help.

The boost on an OEM this age will run anywhere between 10-14+ PSI with a stock pulley/exhaust.

Your first mod after repairing the huffer should be a free flowing exhaust.

edit:

And if you're only pushing 3psi, you should check for vacuum/boost leaks, belt slippage, and.... anyone else?

Last edited:
Hey MONT

Are you sure your car is running good without a working supercharger.. Just the other day I was rolling down the interstate and A semi was throwing rocks on me well this made me mad... So I decided to pass at a hige rate of speed .. Well all was good 80 mph after pass I let off the throttle and there was this popping noize and sputting coming from the exhast.. Guess what the spanner nut came off ..I got one of T-BIRD 88s gaskets in there and I couldn't get the nut tight enough so the nut came loose.. Car ran slow and would backfire at high speed when I let off the gas had no boost and was slow ....... Very loud wynding sound.. Your car will run much better with a supercharger... I won't be using that gasket any more gonna opt from some copper rtv on the threads this time... The other 3 intercooler gaskets work great....

Pop the top off of the supercharger and look for gross amounts of wear on the rotors. Usually there will be minor scratches and imperfections. To only be getting 3psi due to a bad supercharger would mean that the rotors would have to look HORRIBLE. I'd look for other problems. Like for example, is your bypass valve properly closing?

1993+

if you are going to get a new/used charger go for the version that came out in 1993-1995 they have better boost and with your 1990 pulley it will boost 10%? may only be 5% more than with the 1993 pulley. make sure you at least gut the cats if you arent going to do a larger exhaust though.

So a newer 93-95 supercharger will bolt up to my 90 and just change to my pulley???? What else would I need to change?

Oh, if it was a simple bolt on I would change my intake but I really don't need more boost then what the 90 charger puts out. That's why I have my Mustang with 17 LBs to race. I just need a good daily driver. :D

Back