Engine Compartment Fire

SilverCasket

Just figured I'd share.

Having driven the SC in about 2 weeks. Decided to stretch it's legs before a monthly meet on Sunday. Driving to work yesterday morning & I was heading from Route 1 to I95. Saw some white smoke out of the tail pipe & was pissed figuring I'd be pulling apart the top end again to drop new HG's. Figuring I'm only 5 minutes from work, decided to push it & just tow it home after work. Well I didn't get another mile & decided to roll my windows down. All of a sudden smoke came into the car through the floor vents. A LOT of smoke. So I now realize it's not worth pushing & pull over figuring I really smoked the HGs. Get out look around & pop the hood. To open it & see some flames coming out behind the back left hand side of the motor. Well ****. I call 911 & figured they were taking too long. I start blowing on it like that's going to do anything. Then I have a little bottle of water, so I toss that on it. No avail. .. Next thing was to throw dirt on the engine, but I sat there & had to deteremine if it were bad enough to dirty the engine compartment. In a panic, I decided not to throw dirt in there. Stupid, but I didn't want to dirty her up.

So I sit there for like an hour (ok, really only 3 or 4 minutes) & for some reason it went out by itself. Fire & police come. They realize it's out & the inspector is hinting like I did it on purpose. I could have choked him. Why would I want to collect 3 or 4 grand from insurance when I have 8 or 10 times that invested.

I haven't figured out what it is yet. But I am going to pull the motor & check into it. The only thing I could come up with is the PCV hose blew off. Oil hit the headers & it was hot enough to flash the oil & something cought up. Who knows.

Either way, I'm hoping turn around time of about week. It wasn't too bad. Just that area in the back left. Pull the motor, wipe down the char, get some plugs & a trans dipstick & put it all back together.

The car has been running amazingly great recently so I don't want to flaw that. It may not be the fastest, but it sure brings a smile to my face. .. It figures though. I can't tell the guys enough how great it's been running without problems the last 5 or 6 months. Been running good since shortly after the Shootout. I fixed a transmission problem I didn't realize I was having & she gets up & moves now. All this time with no problems. Too good to be true. .. You really gotta love these cars to keep at'em.

Enjoy,
Anthony

I start blowing on it like that's going to do anything. Then I have a little bottle of water, so I toss that on it. No avail. .. Next thing was to throw dirt on the engine, but I sat there & had to deteremine if it were bad enough to dirty the engine compartment. In a panic, I decided not to throw dirt in there. Stupid, but I didn't want to dirty her up.

That is freakin funny!:D :D

Let me know what I can do to help Anthony. Sounds like something Fire marshall Phil would say in his elf shoes.

I work 5 mins from Rte 1 and 95 now.

Gary

Wanna Laugh. The Fertile Fire Marshall just bought a tow truck & came to rescue me. In fact, that'll be how we are getting out to the shootout this year. Last years trailer (bought on a wimm) tore the damn ground effect off at Stegs the first night.

If I need anything, I'll give you a hollar. Thanks. ... Should be Ok though. Nothing serious get hurt. I don't think. Plus this give me opportunity to give back the bottom end to ford & get a new one. Put the warranty to use for me.

That's cool your working around these parts. I work off of exit 3 on I95. Scotch Road. I'll reach out for you this week. There's a Hooters local to Rt 1 & I95 that I frequent. We can do a liquid lunch with a few breasts thrown in. I'll have Phil-Her-Up meet us as well. .. He's got a new hobby. RC Cars. He's been pulling apart those little motors & finding ways to polish the piston & bore it out & put a bigger piston in. .. Something is wrong with him. He's like a Rainman Rainman.

Anthony

Anthony,
explain "this" again on how to spend another 5K in SC mods. First we pour gas on exhaust, then drive several miles to start fire. Call 911 get police and fire company (make it look good for insurance and wife). Claim the engine will have to be pulled for *cough-whipple supercharger-cough*.:p

Talk to you later
Ken

Ha! I agree! Another 5k in modz would be a great excuse! Once that whipple is out & DOT approved, I'd be sure happy to transplant a few extra bolts!

Other than doing some plumbing under the hood, I can't think of too much to do while everything is out of there.

Anthony

Back