Car Dies at idle? Please help.

BlackBird420

I have a 90 auto bird and ive done a couple minor bolt on mods and just some everyday things to keep her running nice. My last pro was a bad harmonic balancer so i got a bhj to go with a set of asp ud pullies that i have. I put them on according to instructions and went to start up the car, it would die at idle. As long as there was some acceleration on it it will run just fine. when my old balancer broke my car was doing similar things and took it to a local shop where they told me it was the crank sensor out of adjustment. Since it was similar and i figured it was the same problem i took it to the same shop and left it to get checked and fixed. Later i call and they tell me the dont know and to take it to ford. What? So i go to pick it up first thing this morning to take it to another shop and he cant get it started and has no idea why it wasnt turning over. His stupid acc unpluged the started but didnt even relieze it so no surprise he didnt know what was worng with it. The other shop tells me its my supercharger. The previous owner had it replaced 15K ago and i would doubt its bad already. This shop says that it looses vacume at idle but otherwise its fine. When driving it from shop to shop the car would die if you just let it sit without any acceleration. I think i did notice the vacume gage go towards -5 when it did just b/f it died. But with little accleration it goes towhat i believe to be normal 19vacume(Unless i got on it). At coast it felt totally fine. Just when car came to a stop. I dont know what the problem could be. Anyone have any ideas? My mods are simple, cai, maf, ud pullys, mp top, new balancer and thats it. Please help get my dieing bird going again. Thank you everyone.

I just drove it home from the shop and still acted as b/f. Its like i need to build up the vacume pressure then im all cool. When i got home i let it idle and didnt die right away. I noticed That would get about 19 vacume and stay there if i reved it but would die down to 10 when i let it idle and then about to 12 and the car shuts down. I was playin with my ic pipes. You think that could be it. a vacume leak around the pipes or top? Also i noticed a slight nissing noice when i had my hood opened. Was just about to narrow the search down when the car died. What could the pro be? All help is appreciated to get my bird running right.

first of all check all the vacuum lines. seriously though. when my PCV vacuum line ripped open my car would buckle at a stop light and then die... i didnt know what it was until i popped open the hood and checked that it was ripped open. If your car has low vacuum inches then u need check everything. Make sure nothing is mis-adjusted. Seriosly check out ur IC tubes and all the hoses. Are ur REVOLUTIONS ok? nothing seems out of wack when the engine runs?

hey darkstar, the car runs nice and smooth except for when it comes to an idle and the vacume drops to a 10, then it feels as if it is lobing or not getting enough air or someting and then kinda buckle and die out. Where is this PVC vacume line conected? Ill take a look at my manual and do some testing in the morning and see if it is a vacume lock and if that or some other part is causing it. Deffinatly air and not fuel, Thanks for your help. More is always appreciated.

help same problem

my car will start and run fine anyime your on the throttle but when ya get off it will cut out sputter and die. I get a really loud hissing sounds and lots of what seems to be blow bye when i shut it off also. The hissing sound is coming from the passenger side seems behind the intake tubing. is there a big vacuum line their

All these problems sound like vacuum leaks to me. Vac lines are essentially any of those which have air in them at some time. This includes your intake, TB, PCV system, intercooler tubes, EGR if you have an early model, HVAC control lines, ect.

All these lines must be checked for vacuum leaks to determine where the point of failure is. Some members have found that over time many of the rubber and plastic connections form invisible leaks simply from being loose.

Check the FAQ here or at the tbscec.com for an excellent post about sealing vac lines.

You can use a flammable (starting fluid) sprayed at the connections to listen for idle changes, soap and water to look for bubbles, or even your eyes to look for old hoses, worn out/ failed connections, bad seals, ect.

Hope that helps.. BTW copper RTV makes an excellent sealant for the IC tubes and SC top in the event that you are unable to acquire Ford's tape. Wynn (Tbird88) also sells teflon gaskets for this purpose.

Back