new to super coupes

winglesshatch

i just picked up an 1990 automatic sc, i am wondering about pulleys, i see people run 5% and 10% pullies, what exactly does it mean, and how much boost does a sc run stock and what is a stock car and chager capable of

winglesshatch said:
i just picked up an 1990 automatic sc, i am wondering about pulleys, i see people run 5% and 10% pullies, what exactly does it mean, and how much boost does a sc run stock and what is a stock car and chager capable of

The 5% 10% is the supercharger pulley. It is an overdrive pulley for it. I would not suggest it till you get the exhaust done. I wouldn't do any mods till you get the exhaust. Everyone on here will tell you that.

On a stock SC, it will usually pull about 10psi. Some do higher.

As far as a stock SC it runs around 215hp.

I hope this helps.

According to my search in this forum if you do not make modifications to your exhaust system you can burn a head gasket search the forum. good luck!

Just like the other fellow sc'ers have said, its dangerous to run a pulley on stock exhaust...specially on the early style sc's which had weaker headgaskets. The reason is that the pully is an overdrive pulley for the supercharger which creates more boost. Ur packign more air into the engine and in order to flow good it must have a free flowing exhaust...which our cars do NOT have. So teh result is a blown head gasket. The recommendation is the same, dont go with a pulley until you upgrade ur exhaust...if you do, just wait for the hg's to blow.

n00b

gut the cats, weld them shut slap your 5% on the pulley, pull the right fender and remove the air silencer, goto a ford dealer and spend the $35 and get 2 bottles of super charger oil and change yours out, spend $60 dollars on new plugs spend the 3 hours on changing them out, do the wires while you have access to the plugs and you will have a completely new acceleration feel to the old bird. be careful I left the road doing 85 MPH this year and thought it was all over................ they will break loose just when it might not be the right time

so far i have a flowmaster catback on the car, should i get full exhaust b4 the pully or just get rid of the cats.
kametti (cant spell) head gaskets does any1 have them, do they even make them for supercoupes, i no on mustangs they work good dont blow out on nitrous. and can supercoupes take a wet shot safely, which pulley is smaller, 5% or 10%

thanks for all ur guys help

A full exhaust before the pulley is definate. Some even port the heads at this point.

I am unfamiliar with the brand HG you mentioned, but Fel Pro are very common replacements on this forum, and have had many positive results.

Many have used Nitrous, don't know what type of kits. Some of the fastest SCs use this.

the percentage is a reference to how much the supercharger is overdriven. Thus 10% is smaller. The older stock pulley is smaller than the newer stock pulley('94-'95). Thus a 10% on a newer SC is 13%.

They're ALL overdrive pulleys

CaifanSC said:
The reason is that the pully is an overdrive pulley for the supercharger which creates more boost.
Actually, ALL supercharger pulleys on SC's are overdrive pulleys. Anything more that a 1:1 ratio between the crank & the supercharger is an overdrive pulley. The M90 on the early SC's is Overdriven 250% Yes, two & a half times the crank speed. The 5 & 10% referr to Additional overdrive beyond the stock overdrive.

68COUGAR

Back