not sure of year SC I bought...help w/ obd-I swap

John68

so, I just bought an original 18,000 mile SC. I think it's an 89, since it doesn't have an airbag, but basically, the car was owned by one man since 1989, he gave it to his son when he bought a new 350Z and his son, who probably really wanted a honda civic, took this car out, and hit a cement pole head on.

the car was punched in to the front of the engine, but none of the engine was hurt the intercooler is perfect, and so is the rest of the car. I bought the car for the motor, as after the guy bought it back from teh insurance company, he took the tremec out, and the independant rear suspension to put into his factory 5 cobra kit car.

so, that's when I bought the car. well, it's completely immaculate, there is no dirt on anything. it looks factory new inside and out. there is a littl ebit of wear on the driver's seat side bolster, where it looks like someone got into the car with something sharp sticking out of their pocket, and tore a hole in teh side bolster. aside from that, it's perfect.
it's just missing too many pieces to run it.

I would like to put the engine into my 1994 mustang v-6 auto.
problem is, my 94 mustang, being the first year of the SN95 bodystyle, it is OBD-II and the supercoupe is probably OBD-I. I wouldn't know, though. I haven't had a chance to look at the car, as it was taken form one garage, right to the shop where I work, and then I covered it up and came home. I do know that the engine runs, and runs really nice. the tranny is stilll hooked up under there, for the sole purpose of lettin me hear the engine before I bought it, and to also get a better deal ont eh car. I bought it for $200 less than the guy was asking, because I agreed to take the tranny out for him.

is there anyway I can switch it over so it will work with my OBD-II hardware in my 94 mustang? I really would like to have the engine is something that doesn't require a whole front clip to be welded on (like the torn up chassis it is sitting in now.)

Are there any forum members in the Pittsbrugh, PA area who might be able to tell me what I have? I paid what I think to be too much for this car, and I am not even sure now if I can use the engine. I am just curios as to some opinions on this subject.
Thanks a million to all who reply!

There are a couple of places that you can find out the year your car was made. One is in the drivers door post. Also the 10th position on the VIN mounted on the dash in front of the drivers seat.

well, I am pretty certain it is an 89, since 90 was the first year for it to be mandatory for all new cars to come equipped with airbags. and since there were no super coupes built before 89, it must be an 89. right?

cool

now. I was thinking that mustang and t-bird wiring harnesses must be totally different, but the basic 3.8L wiring will be the same. I was thinking that I should maybe sell this car whole, and pick up a wrecked 94 supercoupe, and go from there.

honestly, I don't see this thing happening.

It will be too time consuming to get everything switched, and wired for sound.

since 90 was the first year for it to be mandatory for all new cars to come equipped with airbags
Wrong. 1994 was the first year for air bags in a MN12. How can you buy a car and not know what year it is?

Thomas

Also-you state that the Stang is an automatic-that means that the EEC from the Super Coupe will not work, as it has no provisions for the electronically controlled transmission-you'd have to have the EEC from a 94-95 SC for the swap to work.

Sounds like the kid is an absolute idiot, IMHO-who in their right mind takes an SC with 18,000 miles and deliberately smashes it?:rolleyes: Sounds more like the kid wasn't able to handle the power!:rolleyes:

How can you buy a car and not know what year it is?

simple... I bought the car sight unseen, not at all caring about the fact that it is a T-bird, only that it had a supercoupe supercharged 3.8L with 18,000 miles on it.
I have over 30 cars here, most are JAHITY.

The only cars I really care about are my concourse 1968 mustangs. Everything else is just a toy.

and to the other fellow re: airbags.

I was unaware that Ford didn't put airbags in those cars until 94. I have a 94 cougar, and it has airbags, and also has about the same interior as my 94 taurus. I also have a 90 taurus and a 90 mustang. again, the steering wheels are identical, both with airbags.
even more silly... the 1990 topaz I have has once again, the same steering wheel.

now, my 89 GT hatchback FOX car has about the same identical steering wheel as this SC. so, were the steering wheels all looking the same from 89-93?

it might be a 1990 car then.

and to the fellow who said the wiring will not be the same for the tranny...

you are absolutely correct. I had no intentions of swapping ALL the wiring out from teh SC.
listen to the logic here, just humor me.

both cars are 3.8L engines, therefore, the basic components will be the same. mass air flow sensor, TPS, IAC, high pressure fuel pump/injector wiring, etc. The main harness has looking the exact same from ford from 89 to 94 and beyond. you know? it's a 60 pin connector hooked to the pcm, has lots of wires...
anyhow. if you go to www.helminc.com you can get a phone number to order wiring schematics from the ford factory supplier of manuals AKA helm.

now, once you get your wiring schematics for both cars, all you have to do is go pin by pin, making sure each mustang harness pin corresponds to the correct pin on the SC 3.8L main engine harness. sure, there will be ones that are out of order, or possibly missing all together. that's totally expected. when that happens, trace the wiring schematics to where ever it is that the missing link should go, and put the wire in the harness accordingly. It doesn't take too much effort, as long as the main plugs are the same. I am just skeptical now, since I am sure this car is OBD-I where my car is OBD-II. I have done similar swaps before(ex. 1989 SHO Taurus Yahammer 3.0L into a 1990 Mustang LX), but never from one generation of OBD to the other.

Now, honestly, if you got a call on a saturday afternoon from a friend who said he knew of a guy wiht a supercharged engine for your mustang, wiht only 18,000 miles on it. would you bother to ask what year it was? no, most of you would be bowled over by the fact he said 18,000 miles and it would be yoru goal of the day to prove the mileage, and not worry about anything else.

Birdman, I did meet the kid who wrecked the car, and let me just tell you, he is a spoiled little brat. Daddy has a 200X200 toy box full of vintage airplanes, ducati's, a gyrocopter and several 1920's and 30's Ford cars, all restored, nothing is junk, you can see your reflection in the waxed shop floor. needless to say this guy didn't really care about the SC, and that's why he gave it away to this jaded son of his, when he bought his new 350Z, in silver, to match his 1979 or 78 silver datsun 240z.

if anyone would like to see pictures of this car, drop me a line at jphillis68@hotmail.com

I will send you some pictures as soon as I get them.

Hey John68,

Do a search for the username "V6Sprout", he has a 90 SC engine in his 94 V6 Mustang and could probably help you out with some of the questions you have.

Cheers,
Luke

John68 said:

now, my 89 GT hatchback FOX car has about the same identical steering wheel as this SC. so, were the steering wheels all looking the same from 89-93?

it might be a 1990 car then.
The steering wheel in the stang looks nothing like the ones in SCs.

Shane

ahhh... yes, I was thinking of my 88 Taurus. sorry...

the 89 mustang wheel is a smaller 2 spoke, with a round horn in the middle, as opposed to the slicked one piece look of the SC.

this is of course, all from memory, as I haven't seen the car since saturday afternoon, when I covered it up at work.

I don't have the car here, due to lack of storage, and believe me, this is a car you don't dare want to leave outside for one unattended minute. correct?

you sound bitter when you correct me about the steering wheel. do you miss your mustang? I know how it feels to loose one.

check this one out...

www.cobweb.net/~mvp/5point01.jpg
www.cobweb.net/~mvp/5point0.jpg

true it was saved, but it took 2 years to do it. well, actually only 6 or 7 weeks, but it went for almost 2 years without being touched, because the rear of the car was twisted so badly, that we were afraid it wasn't gonna pull back out, and the car would have to be scrapped.

the front was 25 mm out, and the rear was 10mm swayed opposite the front. talk about a major wallop...

it's all better now. I shot the car in two stages. one day was everything metal,a dn the next was all ground effects adn fiberglass. the front fenders are used original ford's. the hood and bumper cover are cervini. check out the fit on the hood. you don't see too many people take the time to get a hood that straigh tto the body...

well, anyhow, thanks for the correction. I appreciate it.

Sorry for sounding bitter, I'm just still angree at myself for what I did to my old stang. I didn't want to sound bitter if I did.

Well I got t-boned back in october by an 89 Z28 going 50mph. I nor the driver of the Z28 wasn't hert.

Yes I miss it and wish the accident never happend.

Heres some pics of the accident:

Attachments

• wrecked mustang 1.jpg
    wrecked mustang 1.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Last one. It brings back bad memories to me looking at the pictures.

Lesson well learned.

Shane

Attachments

• wrecked mustang 4.jpg
    wrecked mustang 4.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 318
that's a big ouch. I have been doing collision work for 10 years now. 10 agonizing years on a frame machine, and from I saw in those pictures, it's about the limit for fixability.

do you still own the car, or was it sold off to the insurance company? I hope you got to hang on to it, and get it fixed some day. you can always get an LX car for parts, and ebay is chocked full of gt stuff. It looks like it needs a rough pull, but nothing more than $5-600 worth of frame work.

it's nevereasy to let go of a car like that. I see it all teh time.

cheer up, you got a nice SC for a replacement. :)

Thomas A said:
Wrong. 1994 was the first year for air bags in a MN12. How can you buy a car and not know what year it is?

Thomas

Thomas,

With all respect, you are incorrect.

My 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII (MN12 Platform) had both a Driver and Passenger Airbag.

1994 standards called for mandatory airbags on all vehicles built in the US.

Prior to 1994, it was an option to have them for the Thunderbirds and Cougars-Lincolns came with airbags installed as a standard item.

John-what do you think it will take to fix this car? It's a 95 SC that I bought for salvage price, and plan to repair.

258979_37_full.jpg

258979_38_full.jpg

258979_39_full.jpg

Wings Dirty said:
Thomas,

With all respect, you are incorrect.

My 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII (MN12 Platform) had both a Driver and Passenger Airbag.

No, he was right, you are wrong. Thought similar the Mark VIII is not a MN12. I cant remember what it is (could be MN10).

Contact Bill Evanoff. He knows what it is, or just go to the tccoa.com

Back