ONT.....we have a problem

MercsSC

I broke the harmonic balancer ..broke the bolt and the balancer broke off the crank..Thanks to ED ..I have a new balancer ..made of Ford gold..new bolt with washer and new seal and key ...had no problems ..getting the old pieces off ...but I can't seem to get the key ..low enough into the crank.. to get the balancer over it ..and running out of ideas ..on how to get this key compressed back into the crank ..now... my new key is round ...that slides into the crank..my old one had a flat spot ..on the bottom of it ..and can't tell if there is a cut in the crank for it ..either way can't get either key to stay...and with little ..to no room ...to get at it ...I'm down to buying a pair of channel locks and trying to mod them ..so I don't scratch crank..anyone been here before ? .....dave

Last edited:
Actually, I have experienced this, but not on an SC engine. Bottom line was I had to take the old key in to match it up with a replacement. Everyone I talked to also warned me against re-using the old key.

Another mechanic I know (faced with the same problem) just took the new key to a grinder and matched it up to the old key.

Hope this helps some...

Dave,
About the only thing you can do is take the old kew with you and match it up. I would stay away from grinder since the key is heat treated and this can change it's hard ness.

Keyway

You might try and make the front of the keyway lower than the rear so it can slide on.It might be such a tight fit tolerance wise that you are not able to get it aligned,at least to get it on.Then you could use the bolt to move it down the bore,but i would use plenty of lubricant on the keyway so it can pivot as the balancer seats on it.Just an idea for your problem!

if your fitment is close, just rap a ice pack around the crank for awhile with the key in place, and put the balancer in the oven for 30 mins at 300, may expand it just enough to slide it on

thanks for the ideas

but I'll take idiot award of the day ...it would seem the slack adjuster..for the timing chain ..has off centered the gear slot and and the crank..therefore the key can't go in all the way...too cold to play with today in the snow ...time for NASCAR....dave

Back