89 SC - Handful of Tech Problems/Questions

jpetillo

Dear Tech Forum Members:

I just got this mint, totally stock 1989 Thurderbird SC with an automatic - it has 80,000 miles. I have a few questions about it's behavior. I'm guessing that many of them are normal for this car. So I figured I'd pose them to the forum and let you guys tell me.

By the way, I've read through the FAQ section completely, and reviewed the Tech Forum as best I could. That answered some of my questions. There's a lot of stuff in the Tech section, so I'm sure I missed some previously-discussed issues that could have answered my questions. I'll apologize in advance, if so.

1) The car seems to shift normally as I accelerate normally, but, once in 3rd gear, wants to stay in 3rd unless I give it more than 1/2-2/3 throttle to force a downshift. It typically just torques it's way along. Is this normal? Is it adjustable? The previous owner says it's always done this.

2) Engine temperature gauge only moves about 1/8 - 1/6 of the way over. It's peaks out 1/2 way between the "N" in "Normal" and the lower tick mark of the normal range. Is this about right? Previous owner says it's always done this.

3) Moon roof makes wind noise on the HW - not real bad, but noticeable enough to turn the radio up.

4) The Check Engine light goes on and off while driving. After about 10 minutes it goes on (or after entering the HW), and often goes off after another 20 minutes. It doesn't come back on when the engine is restarted, but will after the 10 minutes. I realize that this is a hard question to answer, but I'm used to a check engine light going on and staying on for a few days before deciding to go off.

The engine seems to run fine, otherwise, and it does get about 10 lb of boost. Great engine.

5) The Oil Low warning came on, and it was only about 1/2 qt. low. I added 1/2 qt., and it hasn't come back on. Should it have come on in the first place?

6) The Coolant Low warning came on - it wasn't low. Hasn't come back on again.

7) The car pulls to the left. The previous owner says that he's always had problems getting it aligned without a pull - even with new tires. Is this a typical or known problem, and should I look for a shop with a specific machine? It's really annoying on the HW.

8) Is there a shop manual that's suggested? Is Ford's a good one?

I'll appreciate any responses.

Thanks,
John

jpetillo said:
2) Engine temperature gauge only moves about 1/8 - 1/6 of the way over. It's peaks out 1/2 way between the "N" in "Normal" and the lower tick mark of the normal range. Is this about right? Previous owner says it's always done this.

4) The Check Engine light goes on and off while driving. After about 10 minutes it goes on (or after entering the HW), and often goes off after another 20 minutes. It doesn't come back on when the engine is restarted, but will after the 10 minutes. I realize that this is a hard question to answer, but I'm used to a check engine light going on and staying on for a few days before deciding to go off.

Welcome John, First off you are going to need a code scanner to get the code from the CEL that keeps coming on. It should store this code and can be read fronm a scanner. Try Walmart and see if they have a "Actron", as they are usually only about $30. If you pull the codes, and post them, we can help you figure it out.

As far as the temp guage, that seems normal too me.

Not sure on the oil and coolant low flashings from the VMM, as mine has never worked properly.

it is not uncommon for it to go out of alignment i've had that problem with my cougar and when i had a tbird. the vmm is pretty much useless after the sensors get clogged or damaged. i just took mine out and put a blank delete panel in it's place.

Guys, thanks for the information. I guess my VMM might be working better than I should expect.

About the Actron, I've looked into it and it seems like it'll do the trick. I'll check out WalMart.

Thanks again.

If the moon roof is noisy, try adjusting it with the moon roof switch while your travelling down the road. Open it a little by tapping the switch, or close it a bit until you find an area that is less noisy. Closing the roof panel drowns out some of the noise also.
:)

Back