Engine sometimes dies randomly, sparingly, at idle

Digitalchaos

Every once in a while, very rarely, the engine will simply die at idle. There will be no other occurances when this happens, as if the key was simply shut off. It has happened probably 4 times during the little more than a year that I have owned it. No other unusual symptoms with the engine, and it runs very well. There is absolutely no pattern to this event.

Perhaps the dis is simply heating up?

My 90SC AOD was doing that while sitting at stop lights and once while inching along in traffic. Then one day it wouldn't restart (with an up-shift light). I thought I was going to need a tow but it did restart after about an hour, so I replaced the crank sensor and plugged all of the air leaks that I could find. It hasn't died again. Good luck

No, the balancer was fine. It could have been a bad connection in the sensor plug for all I know, I just didn't want it stopping on me in traffic or giving me that surprise no start condition. I was prepared to change all 3 CPS, Cam Sensor, and DIS, and wanted to start with the most difficult to change. Good luck

SC dying

Hey, mine has been doing this since I did the head gaskets. Just like has been stated at idle. I've notice if I keep my foot on the gas at a light or put it in neutral, I don't have the problem happening. I just found a vacuum leak where the hose has dry rotted into two pieces.

I'll replace that today and see if that helps. If not, what should I look for?

Thanks,

David

Re: SC dying

NCredSC said:
Hey, mine has been doing this since I did the head gaskets. Just like has been stated at idle. I've notice if I keep my foot on the gas at a light or put it in neutral, I don't have the problem happening.

How long has it been since you did your HG's?

If you've had your battery unhooked for any length of time recently, it reset your computer and it would have to relearn your idle. I know that mine will die occasionally until it relearns it. For me, it usually lasts 3-5 days.

idle

I did them in January. I replaced the bad vacuum hose and so far it hasn't cut off. I'll be happy if that's all it was. I'll find out more when going to work tonight and back home in the morning. If it's going to cut off on me, it will have plenty of time to do it then.

Thanks for the help.

David

NCredSC; the symptoms you describe do sound like a vac leak. If the leak is bad enough, it certainly could stall the engine at idle speed. Hope thats all it was...

vacuum

Yeah, I think that might have been my problem. It idles pretty smooth now and hasn't tried to cut off on me. I still have a problem cranking it sometimes though. It turns over ok, but sometimes it just takes it a while to crank. Other times it cranks right up. Go figure......

Anyway, thanks for the help. Have you gotten yours figured out yet?

David

Back