massive air sound ssssssss!

Ty Whutaker

wow. my sc started sounding like it was blowing air right through the defrost vents. of course i am losing power, its acting quite anemic. i cannot see or hear anything in the garage but, it's hard to really load the system without putting it under load.
what does this sound like? supercharger cooked? head gasket blown? any ideas? where should i start my diagnosis?
thanks for the help
ty

A common problem is the "Collar Nut" on the SC Top comes loose. That will usually make the loudest vacuum leak sound. Actually, it is not a vacuum leak, but a BOOST leak.
Do you only hear this sound when your have boost going into the engine? If so, that is where I'd start. The collar nut must be tightened to something like 148 ft lbs!
Thus the need for a SC Spanner Nut Wrench to get a proper torque reading. Some have also just used a Robogrip or other belt type wrenches, but it is up to you. Bill at www.supercoupeperformance.com has them for like $60 or so. (Not a shameless plug for Bill, just saying where you can get one if that is the problem, though Bill IS a nice/knowledgable guy).:D

Last edited:
vacuum leak??

I have a slight hissing sound thru the vents, when the car starts. Shuts off when the car is shut down. Cant feel anything but can honestly hear the hissing.

What can be dont on this. WIll i lose battery power when the car is in the off position. How can i get this corrected, what is it, and where is it. I would do it my self if someone shows me.

steve
slipkids@nyc.rr.com
93 thunderbird sc.
mint cond

The hiss is pressure equalizing in the IC tubes as the blower bypass opens. Check the freash air hose that goes from the drivers valve cover to the intake tube for a kink. Some noise is normal a kink at that line can make it sound like a goose gasping upon shut down.

Back