fat n fast

I have a 89sc with 5 speed & 3.55 gear & 155000km
it leeks oil from the front of the motor some were
and the pan gasket.

it shifts hard from first to second

I started to pull the motor and trany yesterday
what a job

eney body got some hints to make the job go faster

I'll drive 'far' to help someone out, but Quebec??? LOL!!

I see that you're online right now, so i'm hoping to find this out now.

What exactly are you going to do? Are you pulling everything out just to fix the leak, or are you doing upgrades? Also, what knowledge of cars do you have? Beginner, novice, you've done this a few times before....what experience do you have? Do you have someone helping you, or is this a solo attempt? Shop garage, home garage or driveway? (looking for how much time you have to do this)

TAG - you're it! LOL!

im pulling the motor to fix the leeks and find the coolent leek
and to look at the bottom end
the trany needs to be fixed

I helped pull my first motor at the age of 10
so I think I know what im doing

and I have a good friend helping me

I have a month or so to fix the car too much road salt to drive
my car its never seen winter

Okay, you've got experience and someone helping. That's great.

The 'blown shifts' are the blocker rings (aka. synchros). It's quite a job to rebuild a 5-speed, so i'm thinking that's going to a rebuild shop, yes/no? If it hasn't been done already and if funds are available, do the clutch now. Chances are that two months after you put it together it will need to be done anyways.

Same goes for the motor and tranny mounts. Notorious in an SC. I don't know how they looked coming out, but chances are that the driver's side motor mount is in two pieces. Again, funds.....get solid rubber ones if you can, as opposed to the liquid filled stock parts. They last longer.

Headgaskets. Just like the above examples, if they haven't been done already then now is the perfect time to do them. Just in case.....the stock bolts are TTY, so DON'T re-use them. I'm doing HG's for a buddy in two weeks because he DID, and it's just an LX.

As far as getting it done faster.....there aren't any real tricks, if you know what I mean.;)

I've got a 1000$ to play with after the new gaskets and motor
mounts
what would be the best mods for the cash I have?

Again, not trying to steer you away from 'mods', but you may want to get the tranny, at the very least, looked at. No sense spending the $$$ just to find out you tranny is cooked - know what I mean? It could very well consume the remaining funds you have, if it is gone.

On the other hand...

If your car is completely stock, a 70mm MAF from a 91+ Bird would be a little help, as well as removing the intake silencer (that's free HP). You might be able to find one (MAF) at a local wrecker. Just get the (aluminum) body, NOT the sensor itself. You have to re-use the one that came with your car. Relatively inexpensive and worth a few hp.
You didn't mention if your clutch is stock or not. As I mentioned before, if it is then that would probably be a good 'mod' (more like maintenance, but it is transfering power, so...).

I'm sure some of the guys will speak up, also (guys?!?!).

the 70mm maf 91+bird must it be a sc
the trany work is 200$
and the cluch is like new
I don't think the cat's and resonater will go back on
good thing yes/no

The 70mm MAF can be found on 91+ SC's as well as 94+ LX's.
You will need to verify this when your looking (naturally). I know that 94+ 4.6 LX DOES come with these, but I can not vouch for the 3.8 LX. As far as other Ford vehicles having the same MAF....."fast Ed N" will be able to give you a correct answer here (Ford parts guy ;) ).

$200???? I want your tranny guys # - LOL!!

Good clutch. Check.

Ahhhhhh. No cats and no resonator. Then I would also recommend a blower pulley. Now, DON'T take my word on this one (GUYS!!!!). You will probably hear mixed reviews on this, but, IMHO, with new HG's going on and a 'better flowing' exhaust, i'd think that you would be in the clear with this. Porting the stock exhaust manifolds would help also (another freeby).

thanks for the info
I must do some thing the only time I went to the drag strip
it was a joke 15.95 @ 88mph
got my doors blown off by a neon

tranny work for $200 is a real good deal I can not even buy all the parts for that much and do the work my self.

New exhast and head gaskes I would add a 5% pulley I did even with the stock exhast.

Back