Normal temp?

PearlBird

My car runs on the M in NORM all the time when I'm on the highway but as soon as you get into town it goes to the O and R and on normal 70+ weather if you floor it on the highway it will go past the M, what is wrong?

Depends. If you are in warmer weather, operation on or before the M is pretty normal. At night at speed in overdrive (4th AOD 5th 5spd) it should cool down a bit more. As long as you are not getting a check gauge light and other overheat signs, its probably fine.

Check for proper high and low speed fan operation, check rad cap, check coolant level and color, and that should tell you.

Hope that helps..

My problem is if you run it hard for like 1 minute in 70 degree or hotter weather it will go way past the M, maybe its normal.

I've found it that it is 'normal' to run all the way to the M on the gauge...but thats not good, its way too hot. You should do something to bring those temps down. Maybe you should turn your AC on so that the low speed fan cuts on and cools the engine. If you have an early bird try installing that pontiac air dam to direct cool air to the radiator, or re-wire your fan.

*never mind, i just saw you have a late model SC. What i do on mine is turn the climate control on so that the low speed fan cools the engine. Even then, whenever i slam th gas or cruise for a long time the temp starts creeping up so I rewired the pusher fan on the outside of teh rad to the 'trac asssit' button and that helps it cool even further. Also, you could try flushing your coolant system, adding some water wetter and a lower degree thermostat...i got a rober shaw 180*....it helped...but temps went back up after a while.

Last edited:
M is too high

Having 3 SC's with stock FORD 197 deg stats, my run in the N to O range. This is without any leaks or radiator issues.

I too think M is too high of a temp!

Do you have any leaks? Anything changed recently? Do you know what stat temp is installed?

Sorry for the questions...but it sounds like you have air getting into the cooling system.

Back