changing bolt pattern to 4.5

amcagreg

I have an XR7 independent rear that is going in a kit car. Problem is that I need to conververt to 5 x 4.5 rear bolt patter. I also have drums and need to convert to discs. Can I just go buy thr Mustang "hat" and then a set of SC rotors and have the drilled.

i beleive if you buy 99+ Cobra Hubs, that is all the rear requires. The 99+ IRS cobra's have the same Spline # as our SC's

todd

Let me get this straight. The 99+ Mustang hat has the same spline number (28?) as the SC so it will fit in. Then I take a set of SC rotors and have them redrilled to match. Anyone out there ever re-drilled a set of rotors before? Do I take them to a local speed shop for this?
I was told that I can not use the Mustang rotors as they are larger. Wouldn't it be easier to cut them down to match the SC or is there an offset problem too?

that is an option to redril some SC rotors.

there are people on this forum who have done this swap....were are you all????

Not sure on what the "hat" is, but the Cobra 99-up IRS rear hubs are the ones that can be put on the SC rear knuckles. They are splined correctly for our half-shafts. I actually have the stock SC hubs redrilled to the 4.5" bolt pattern with new 1/2" studs on my car and I am also using the larger Cobra rotors on the rear. This requires and adapter to space out the SC caliper to clear the larger rotor.

If you can get the Cobra rear hubs they are better for 'Stang wheels since the center part of the hub is the correct size to fit 'Stang wheels. The SC hub center is too small. I had a ring adapter machined to keep my wheels hub-centric.

One of our members, DLF has a good writeup on this changeover and how he made a caliper adapter:

http://www.patmedia.net/fraleigh/Article.html

Back