help SPEC flywheel

Burbank95sc

I received my SPEC alum.flywheel and I was trying to put it on but didin't fit , this flywheel is 8-bolt pattern but my stock flywh. is 6-bolt pattern.

what should I do???????????

I've checked with the vendor and they ordered you the right part # from SPEC. This must be a problem with SPEC shipping or making the wrong piece. I'll check mine and post back here.

The flywheel is the right one. The only problem is that the holes are not the right diameter. Your stock shouldered bolts will not fit in the holes. The holes in the flywheel fit the threaded part of the bolts fine, but the bolts have a large shoulder that is supposed to fit into the flywheel. These will have to be drilled out or else you will have to get other bolts.

Thanks for checking that for us Dave (Dave has my flywheel).

I've heard of this problem before and will have mine drilled out.

6 Bolt vs. 8 Bolt Pattern

OK,

So what are the 2 extra holes for?? 6 Bolt would be 60 degrees apart and 8 bolt would be 45 degrees apart on holes (assuming all holes are equidistant). Only 2 bolt holes will line up (0 & 180). Still waiting for mine as of yesterday and I don't need any surprises. Also heard that ARP makes a bolt that will work with this flywheel w/o drilling. If true, what is the part number?

Last edited:
Quality Control at SPEC

XR7 Dave said:
The only problem is that the holes are not the right diameter. Your stock shouldered bolts will not fit in the holes. The holes in the flywheel fit the threaded part of the bolts fine, but the bolts have a large shoulder that is supposed to fit into the flywheel. These will have to be drilled out or else you will have to get other bolts.
I had the same problem with the SPEC flywheel I bought. CALL SPEC!!!!!!!!! They told me to drill them out & I said NO **** WAY!!!!!!!! I said that if I tried to drill it & ****, I'd have a useless flywheel that they wouldn't take back. I ordered a flywheel for a Supercoupe & I didn't get one. I told'em I wanted a new flywheel. They sent me a new one & even paid to ship the useless one back.

What happened with mine was that they took a SC flywheel & drilled Mustang size holes. Use a digital caliper & measure the mounting holes. Then call SPEC & tell them what size holes you have. You shouldn't have to correct SPEC's ****!!!!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The holes are not equally spaced. There are six holes that are for bolting up the flywheel and two threaded release holes for removing the flywheel if it decides to "weld" itself onto the crankshaft.

The flywheel is "hubcentric" on the crank, so drilling out the holes cannot have a detrimental effect on anything even if you don't do a perfect job. Redrilling the holes - 15minutes. Complaining about it and sending it back to Spec and waiting on a new one. Probably weeks. Not worth the hassle in my book. Welcome to the world of SC "bolt on" parts. :D :D :D

[
COLOR=blue]XR7 Dave[/COLOR]
The stock flywheel has only 6 holes but that SPEC has total 10 holes , 8 regular holes and 2 smaller ones with thread

if there is no other option , I'll try to redrill the holes

XR7 Dave said:
Complaining about it and sending it back to Spec and waiting on a new one. Probably weeks.
Actually they over nighted it to me. I was adament about that!

I just don't see why or how it's acceptable that I would have to finish up their machine work on such an expensive part.

"I've got a 4.6 intake manifold for sale, that will fit your 3.8!!!!! $350.00 & all you have to do is finish the machine work"

68COUGAR

Quick Question on FLYWHEELS

Excuse me, is there anything that could possibly go wrong with a FLYWHEEL that would cause the transmission to slip REAL BAD, and produce a LOUD BANGING from the engine? The BANGING increases with the RPM of the engine also. I don't know which to tear apart and look at first. Thanks for ANY advice!

:confused:

If you have a total of 10 holes, then it is certainly the wrong flywheel. Heck, that probably isn't even a FORD flywheel. All Ford stuff is 6 bolt as far as I know. Sorry about the confusion.

Last edited:
Excuse me, is there anything that could possibly go wrong with a FLYWHEEL that would cause the transmission to slip REAL BAD, and produce a LOUD BANGING from the engine? The BANGING increases with the RPM of the engine also. I don't know which to tear apart and look at first. Thanks for ANY advice!
Sounds like the flywheel or pressure plate might be loose. Don't drive it like that! If it breaks the results can be catastrophic. I'm kinda partial to my legs, so don't ask me to go for a test ride with you!

Bangers not allowed!!!!

ThunderTurkey said:
is there anything that could possibly go wrong with a FLYWHEEL that would cause the transmission to slip REAL BAD, and produce a LOUD BANGING from the engine? The BANGING increases with the RPM of the engine also. I don't know which to tear apart and look at first.

Confused, any kind of Banging is BAD!!!!!! Get that tranny OUT ASAP!!!!!!!! Wrong flywheel bolts? Wrong size bolt holes (we already know SPEC has a problem with this), Flywheel bolts loose, Pressure Plate bolts loose, Slave cyclinder depth incorrect, Clutch not fully engaging...........

Can you give us some more information on the BANGING? Is it Grab & Release, metal on metal or something else? Is the banging cyclic? Does it happen all the time, OR when going from power to coast? So many questions!

What XR-7 Dave said!!!!!! You don't want to end up like Don Garlits!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

Re: wrong flywheel

Burbank95sc said:
I contacted SPEC today and my flywh. is wrong [ total 10 holes ] I w'll have to send it back
You already paid to receive the correct part! They should send you the correct part AND pay for the wrong parts return trip! That's what they did for me. All I had to do was put my incorrect flywheel back in the box, stick on the return label SPEC send me, and drop it off at UPS. I could have had UPS pick it up at my house, but SPEC didn't pay for that service. I would have had to pay $10 for UPS to pick it up at my house.

68COUGAR

BANGING NOISE from Engine !

This is the '93 I got from killswitch around Christmas with no Title. I should have a Title by the end of the month, but I am SO anxious to tear into this car, I can't wait!! I don't see how some of you guys can stand having your cars down for repairs that take forever! No wonder a lot of you have more than ONE SC !!
Anyhow, he described the sound as a 'knock', but everyone in the neighborhood agrees that the noise is definiately a 'metal-on-metal' BANG that is coming from behind the engine somewhere.
Other than the CONSTANT 'banging', the car idels great, and the vacuum gauge shows 20 at idle. I didn't realize at the time that the TRANS was also malfunctioning, as if it were low on fluid(which it is NOT). I rev it some to get it to catch briefly so the car will move to the end of the driveway, where I can wash it. As the RPM goes up, so does the BANGING noise. Maybe you guys are right, and I shouldn't start it anymore.
Just wondering what it could be, and how much $$$ it's gonna end up costing. No matter, I love the car anyway!!
;)
Oh, one Saturday I had every gear-shifting, truck-driving, grease-monkey in the neighborhood over listening to the car, but none of them had ever seen a SuperCoupe before. They did agree that it is NOT a 'spun-bearing' or a 'rod-knock', and it is NOT coming from the bottom end. Further discussion deteriorated into a beerfest that made no sense whatsoever.
Thanks again for your LEARNED advice!!
:D

Back