TransGo or Baumann Shift Kits

thewood

I was considering whether or not to do a shift kit on my 1990 SC's AOD. Not that there's anything wrong with my tranny but I have heard that this kit will (among other things) add life to the transmission and some optional performance enhancements with 3 types of settings: firm-medium-hard.

I don't race my car and I drive it maybe 3-4 time a week in the good weather only. I live in the north east and I don't think I will need an cooler.

Has anyone used the Trans-Go reprogramming kit instead of their shift kit? I'm sure it requires a tranny expert.

Is there anybody using the Baumann Engenering shift kit?

I'd like to hear any good and bad stories or opinions about these kits. Please include which setting you feel are the best, firm, medium, or hard.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
i have installed trans go,tci and b&m shift kits in my mustang that has a c4 in it.and the b&m is by far way better than the other two.i dont think there would be any difference between the c4 and aod.a cant say anything about baumann tho.never used or heard of them.hope this helps.o yea,definatly hard setting for me.

Not sure how useful you'll find my experience but here it is anyways.

I found my '90aod before getting rebuilt to have just silly shift points. Everyone told me that is how the cars drove, but seriously, going up a hill steeper than 45 degree's it'd shift into D at about 35km/h doing like 1000rpm...and until you hit like 7 or so psi it would not shift into second. This drove me nuts for a while, as surely that can't be good for the car.

Finally in rebuilding my tranny, i put in a Transgo stage 1 shift kit. It greatly improved shift points. They seem a lot more accurate now as to where i think they should be, and whether a person likes it or not, they're a lil firmer.

With the shift kit you have the hopes of holding a gear where as before, don't bother try'n. I've been really impressed at what the kit did overall for my car. I've talked to a couple peple that had the stage II kit and some liked it cause you could sqwak the tires in second n stuff...but it's pretty jerky apparenlty.

For every day driving, i'm really happy with the kit that i got, sorry i don't have any info on the adjustable kit or the baumen (sp) engineering kit.

scotty!

i have the trans-go kit on the street/strip or stage 2 setting. it shifts nice under normal driving. if you get on it your head will snap back and on cold mornings it will chirp the tires in second. everything else on my car is stock.

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
The baumann shift kit is most excellant

HeHe.. Thanks.. I've been doing a lot of reading about shift kits.

Baumann makes an AOD Valve Body Recalibration Kit (Catalog Number: RK-AOD ) and a AOD Pressure Regulator Boost Valve Kit (Catalog Number: BV-1). They seem very attractive and the price is right.

Trans-Go makes these kits.
- (SKAOD) This one that's not a real performance kit rather a durability kit. It's suppose to Reduces/Corrects/Prevents 1-2 bump or slide; 2-3 bump or slide-bump; rough down-shift; 4-3 cut loose or bind up; 4-3-4 shuttle hot; 4th shudder light throttle; OD band failure; excessive shifting; late or no 4th; falls out of 4".
- (AOD-HP) The reprogramming kit. It firms muscle car shifts; Holds 1st, 2nd, 3rd to any rpm. Wide open 3-4 shift; Holds 4th at high speed.
- AOD Performance Shift Kit. It doesn't require transmission removal. It upgrades to short firm shifts with class (whatever that means). Holds 1st-2nd-3rd at any RPM. Backshifts at your command. Holds 4th at high speed.
- (AOD-HIREV) Hi-Rev governor kit for AOD. Increases upshift timing to 5500 rpm.
Transmission Exchange Co offers Trans-go on Ebay. They are a bit higher in price then Baumann

Of the two manufactures as far as I can tell Trans-Go has a bigger market share.

I've been reading that the B&M is more for the "all out" performance street/strip.

I don't know enough about the TCI and B&M to talk more about them.

Anybody?

If you want something you will really be happy with, spend a little more and buy a Lentech Street Terminator valve body w/electric OD delete. You can order it with 3 different firmess settings (I suggest calibration #2) and it has a revised shift pattern allowing you to manually shift and hold each gear as long as you want (even 2nd).

It shifts softer in automatic mode so when you don't want to chirp the tires, let the tranny shift itself. I've had a trans-go and trust me, the Lentech is much much better and very easy to install.

David

http://www.lentechautomatics.com/

Last edited:
David Neibert said:
If you want something you will really be happy with, spend a little more and buy a Lentech Street Terminator valve body w/electric OD delete. You can order it with 3 different firmess settings (I suggest calibration #2) and it has a revised shift pattern allowing you to manually shift and hold each gear as long as you want (even 2nd).

It shifts softer in automatic mode so when you don't want to chirp the tires, let the tranny shift itself. I've had a trans-go and trust me, the Lentech is much much better and very easy to install.

David

http://www.lentechautomatics.com/

MY 90 is an AOD and it doesn't have the electric OD.

MY 90 is an AOD and it doesn't have the electric OD.

Mine is a 91 AOD (same transmission you have)...it will have electric OD delete after installing the Lentech VB. It requires drilling one hole and running a single wire to a keyed 12 volt power supply.

Do a search on Lentech and see what other people think about it.

David

David Neibert said:
Mine is a 91 AOD (same transmission you have)...it will have electric OD delete after installing the Lentech VB. It requires drilling one hole and running a single wire to a keyed 12 volt power supply.

Do a search on Lentech and see what other people think about it.

David

Ok I see. It's a OD Delete function built into the kit. What the advantage of that vrs the old "put it in drive" slection on the shifter? Also what's good about the kit over the trans-go programming kit?
Thanks in advance,
-Don Wood-

Im currently looking at getting a 'Street Cruise AOD' Valvebody for my Bird with bolt ons (look at profile). Does anybody have any experence with this model?

Toms-SC said:
Im currently looking at getting a 'Street Cruise AOD' Valvebody for my Bird with bolt ons (look at profile). Does anybody have any experence with this model?

I got to claim ignorance on this one, never hear of it before. Who makes it?

Back