alum.flywheel dyno numbers

I added the Mcleod aluminum flywheel and increased my overdrive from 5% to 15% and picked up 8 RWHP and 21 ft-lbs

Micah

Well how can we measure acceleration or rap up time? I guess if one took a range of 1/4 mile times and then another set with aluminum flywheel we might see something. I don't see a big jump in ultimate HP/TQ. It is more in the ability to get a quicker RPM, and a little weight reduction to help in acceleration. Or am I all wet?
:p

PS: Less rotating mass to acdcelerate, and overall car weight reduction to accelerate when driving.

Last edited:
Don't know Doug, but I do know that my car revs almost violently fast. More like a SBC than an SC. :eek: :D Gives me grins just sitting still, that alone almost makes the mod worthwhile.

Same thing with a lightweight converter...it doesn't really show up on the dyno but it shows up on the street and the track as quicker acceleration.

David

Last edited:
Well, how much extra HP do you think I got from going from 5% to 15% overdrive? I don't know if I got ANY extra Hp.....and I may have actually lost a couple by spinning it that quick (but it did keep bumping my torque up)

Even if the thing is only good for 5RWHP or so, the flywheel only costs $350. It seems like people will pay that much for 5RWHP with other mods.

I would do it because (1) it's worth more power and (2) it's free power, so your engine isn't under any extra stress.

Micah

After reading all this I think I want one even if the HP gain is low I would like it to rev up faster.
It's only money.

Back