Don't Use zMax

Interesting. I personally use Motor Up...and have been VERY pleased with the performance of this stuff. Used it in my old Grand Marquis, too. It hesitated like hell before and then I put this stuff in and it went when I told it to. As far as my Super, it does run a bit more smoothly and naturally...which is good considering I am about 2 weeks away from crossing the 150k marker.

DONT EVER EVER EVER EVER USE ZMAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are being sued by the FTC
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.htm

http://www.ftc.gov/os/2001/02/speedwaycmp.pdf

its pure crap and destroys your engine!!!!!!!

...sale of the zMax Power System (“zMax”) -- a package of
three clear, beaker-shaped bottles of zMax brand aftermarket motor
vehicle lubricant labeled “Oil Formula,” “Fuel Formula,” and
“Transmission Formula.” The liquid in each bottle is itself clear
but tinged a different color for each “formula.” Each of the
three “formulas” consists of 100% mineral oil with no active
chemical additives.

More...

...In February/March
1997, an independent laboratory performed two modified CRC L38
tests on behalf of Defendants -- one test on motor oil alone and
the other on the same motor oil treated with zMax. In these
tests, motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as
much bearing corrosion than the motor oil alone (185.7 milligrams
of bearing weight loss for the treated oil versus 74.1 milligrams
for the untreated oil).

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Do you guys think something like Slick 50 would help? My SC is an '89 and currently has 98k miles on it. I want it to last as long as possible, so looking for preventative maintenance tips :)

the ONLY way Slick50 works is if you bake roller or needle bearings in the stuff-otherwise, I would forget it. I was told this by a mechanic-he says that bearings that are placed in a pan and covered with slick50, then baked at 120 degrees for 6 hours and then wiped clean are good to go-only do this if they do NOT have any rubber or neoprene-sealed bearings and the like

You mainly want to make sure that oil changes, transmission fluid changes and antifreeze changes/cooling system flushes take place regularly, along with decent plug/wire changes

Back