Sealed Power Pistons

RallyColtTurbo

I've come to the conclusion that I cannot afford forged pistons. My brother works at a parts store and says he can get me the Sealed Power ones for about $24 each. The least expensive forged I could find is $80 each from Morana(?).

Is there anything wrong with the #675 Sealed Power pistons? Anybody here used them for a long time or had a failure?

I assume that they are hyperU pistons, correct? How do they compare with OEM Ford pistons. Any other options? I'd like to see about 250 horses to the rear wheels. Are HyperUs up to that level of power?

Thanks,
Jess

As long as you can keep the detonation and spark knock away, the hyperutecs(sp?) should be good for about 400hp, but really aren't made for SC'd vehicles. You really should get some forged ones. I'm rebuilding the motor in my Dakota right now, and the difference between the Sealed power pistons for it, and the SRP(JE brand) forged pistons was only about $100 for the set. Well worth the money for something as important as your motor, especially with a SC.

The H675P are stock replacement Hypereutectics. There are a few 300+ hp SC's with ported heads and cams on stock pistons.
So these pistons should work for your HP goals.

Did you have an engine failure of some sort? Fuel, bearings, piston....

I have an extra new standard size set, if your brother can't get them.

I would prefer to go forged, but the the price is more than double for forged. For SCs about the lowest I could find was about $150 for HyperUs.

No engine failure. I am building a SC powered roadster. My "supposedly good" engine turned out to have rust in the cylinders. It's OK though, I got it (long block) basically free.

Thanks for your help guys,
Jess

forged

i thought that stock 3.8 sc pistons were forged. As a matter of fact i am almost certain on my 92 since replacements were 80-90 dollar range.

NOT Forged

maxim123 said:
i thought that stock 3.8 sc pistons were forged. As a matter of fact i am almost certain on my 92 since replacements were 80-90 dollar range.
Dunno where you got THAT idea, but they are NOT Forged. OEM pistons are Hypereutectic. Look up Hyper & Eutectic in the dictionary! The definations alone should be enough to make you buy some forged units!!!!!

68COUGAR

yeah you dont want to run those damn hyperpathetic pistons .lol

Dave is running them and making more power than we can dream of

stock block in the xr7

I agree Manny, BS and old wifes tales die very hard at this site. You can tell easily that many replies here are not from real knowledge about the subject but instead are some of the continiously recycled crap thats been going on for forever it seems. I would recomend that guy's do some REAL research into this topic and stop listening to everything someone may or may not have read in a magazine ad or heard one of there buddies say. Forged pistons have there own set of drawbacks associated with them, but then again that would be known if anybody had done some real research into this subject.

MIKE 38sc said:
You can tell easily that many replies here are not from real knowledge about the subject but instead are some of the continiously recycled crap thats been going on for forever it seems.
Oh... its not that bad, but like most free advice, well... you sorta get what you pay for. ;) ;) I think most of us do a pretty good job of keeping the advice honest. As a general rule of thumb, I prefer (but don't always take) advice from someone who has a history on the subject. So like if XR7Dave says something'll work, you can pretty much count on it. If I say something'll work, you can count on it too.. If I don't know, I state flatly that I don't know.. (e.g. just got through with that post on the ARP studs which I don't know precisely how to install so I advised the poster to read up and gave some info on what to search for). :)
Bad advice and all, usually what you get here is better than what you get anywhere else on the planet. Not always, but usually.

Last edited:
I have hypereutic pistons in my car runs great, I'm sure when i build the new motor for it tho I'll put in some forged pistons so i can spray some giggle gas.

nick

Back