Put water on the bypass plate and it is leaking

grey500se

Has anyone done this test? my guess is that it should not be leaking anything....I have adjusted the bypass plate and water is still seeping through....suggestions? If I get another used plenum how do I know if its not gonna do the same thing...I know a new plenum is not cheap, unless Ford sells the plate itself

Please advise

I think it shouldn't leak at all...I'm going to block off the bypass hose on both sides to see if I get an increase in the amount of boost

One would think that, but it is nearly impossible to seal a butterfly valve without some sort of gasket material on the ends. Try it with the throttle body (block off the IAC and bleed screw if applicable) the TB leaks too. Some leak more than others but every one I have is like that (more than 6). I toyed with the idea of adding an o-ring but it ends up tearing. Having an insert that is made of a softer material would do much better for sealing but it will wear out eventually (that’s why industrial valves are rebuildable).

You can cap the bypass off if you like and it should increase boost some. There is also a hose that runs from the lower IC tube adapter to the SC inlet plenum. This is known as the crosstalk tube, and it’s there for a reason. Do a search for crosstalk tube.

Jeff

Back