Oil pan mounted sensor

Digitalchaos

What information does the sensor mounted to the side of the oilpan provide? Is this a temp and level sensor, just a level sensor, or something else? Does the computer utilize this information?

The connection plug to mine is damaged, and judging by the rust around the sensor it also needs replacement.

It is only a low oil sensor. When you are about a quart low the sensor will trigger a "low oil" light on the vmm. John

Its also an oil temp gauge that ties into the VMM to help "predict" when an oil change is needed. (At least on the early years 89-93 SC.)

Excellent, thats what I wanted to know. What is required to replace this sensor and what do they normally run? Autoparts stores have them? I will also need to replace the plug attached to the harness, it melted at some point.

This will also come in handy as for the time being I am losing oil out the pressure sensor.

Thanks..

George is right

Thanks George, I always thought the sensor was only for low oil indicator since that is the only function that is displayed. I never questioned how the oil change period was determined. It just seemed to me that it was a function of mileage. Anyway, this shoud prove to the doubters about the fact that petro oils do run hotter after certain mileage. Which brings up a question. Do synthetic oils reflect a longer mileage cycle with this sensor reading? If so, good case for the use of synthetic. John

If you have the VMM you can put it in the Diagnostic mode and the sequence of lights lit will show the oil tempature from the sensor.

Back