I inquired about having a set of heads rebuilt /ported and polished
He advised me he had a few phone calls from people in tri state area
Inquiring about SC head work

This is what Ralph came up for me
Set of heads CNC machined ,ported polished
new valves installed 184 Intake and 160 ex

He gave me these flow numbers

212 on intake at .550 lift
170 exhaust at .550 lift (untubed Im told tubed would be roughly 220)
(Im told Stiegemeier heads achieve their flow ratings tubed)

Powerheads are willing to do these heads for 1200 a set
(you provide the cores)
He has also advised me that he will discount prices on a GP depending on how many orders are placed (discount will be determined by number of orders)

This seems like a good alternative to STEGS heads

Based upon the current information I have received from them, the price vs flow improvement seems more than reasonable and capable of fitting the needs of those looking to improve performance without breaking the bank. I will be in touch with them this upcoming week to get some concrete details and will post more information as it comes available

Anyone possibly interested in a group purchase Email me at Conan56@aol.com for details

Last edited:
well that makes 2 of us

Now we need like 3 more before he will really cut the price
I think with 5 sets hell do them for 1000 a set

Are you intersted in more then one set

What do you get for that price? Just the port work? Bob's heads include new springs locks valves etc. in addition to the port work, welding of the exhaust side and reworking. Point here is that CNC machining will yield consistancy, but it will not touch the exhaust flow #s without welding the ports first. It also isnt offering the ability to run high lift cams if the springs are still stock.

Paul

Ported heads/welding springs/cams?

Hi Paul... , What do you mean by highlift cams how radical. just can achive alot in the gear work, I'm asking will we be use a cam for this price or not? I really do not care to use any thing more than 2 or maybe 3 over max! I wish Dr.Fred was around......The rest of the work Im doing is with intercooler tubes to increase CFM's Joe Brauner has some tubes he purchased to achieve that, and Rich Thompsom also has some good theories. We need to have a more funtional Intercooler and blowers but increasing flow our blowers will provide that efficency. This is a draw back in these cars. Yo can do alot but the intercoolers and the amount of air is limited. I,m looking starting to have port work done to these tubes plus some extras... or do what others are doing to increase air flow. I shooting for 425HP. I,m happy with 400HP. let me know, I can probably find a few more people for the head work. is anyone going more than two or 3 over? Or real radical cams? I have purchased almost everything but the heads, I was going to have this done next, and I won't spend my money on steaigemiers cant spell these heads either. I believe these heads can do the trick. $1000 heck lets shoot for $850.00 $875.00 or a $1000.00 all included springs etc. I believe we can find 10 or more. There are some people that are willing to pay for some good head work! I have been working with someone on the tube theory. 2.25" inside diameter maybe more! This is where alot of our power is created. Than, keeping the headgaskets from blowing, will require head Bolts and studs work and no guarantees. Thanks Good post! I am willing to go with high performaance springs and so on, I can get us those! Or if they provide them how much more? ten people is $10,000.00 I can find some one to do it for that. Need to squeeze the turnip Just a little. let us knowThanks! Get us some slack here... Paul, I can find some more interest here. They get to keep our heads also? Man these stock heads are going for a some bucks now! and getting higher in price to purchase also. Just to purchase a good set. I have a few set's but I can make good money on these stock heads and so can they... hey Good post keep up the good work I'm still in but let's get the best deal we can. There are alot of very good people out of work these day's in Michigan Florida too. ! :cool: ;)
Victor
Spinningwheels-sc

Last edited:
Paul is right.And I could add a lot more.I think that you have some home work to do.Before you get in the air flow game.Good luck!
RANDY

Set of heads CNC machined ,ported polished
new valves installed 184 Intake and 160 ex

I would almost hazzard a guess that with new valves you would get new valve springs..And the cost to go stiffer is barely a cost at all.

I have steig heads myself..Got a semi deal on them when he was doing a group buy..WHy did I buy them?...Didnt want to experiment..Could I have done better for the cost..Garunteed...Was I willing to make calls..Nope..

About the exhuast port welding. I'm not going to mention names here but in the SBF world there is a company that CNC ports their heads and gets better flownumbers then its competitors that actually raise the exhaust port..They charge a premium price and suppossedly they are worth it...SO whos to say it cant be done..Back in the day we used to use port plates to do this...And it was a hell of a lot cheaper!

Now if someone would only do an SC head shootout..Same motor...same dyno..different heads hehe..As if that would ever happen!

Damon: Its not so much that the port needs weld to be raised in the SC head.
Its the short side radius is to sharp of a transition.And this needs weld for a
larger radius.If you rub your finger across a stock SC short side radius
in the exhaust port.you can all most cut your finger. :D There is not enough
metal to machine in this area.If you did the valve seat would have no seat
to set on.

Every one talks about how bad the exhaust ports are on the SC head.
The intake ports are the worst FORD intakeport that I have ever seen.

randy

Last edited:
Heads

I was informed by Powerheads that these heads would get a stiffer rate spring and COULD handle a high lift cam.
As far as these heads flowing as much as Stegs I never claimed that
I just posted the numbers I was given by the manufacturer
Powerheads also informed me that if he has enough interest shown on SC head that they would be willing to do more reseah to produce a better flowing head

It is my opinion that the flow numbers I was given by powerheads are pretty decent Im just weighing out my options and giving other people options
along with trying to shed some money off the costs

Im sorry But Even if these heads Flowed 85% of Stegs I would purchase them for the right price. Last time I checked stegs were over 2 G for a set,
which is crazy. Im building a weekend toy like most people. Im not looking to break any records for fastest SC. But Id like to get most bang for my Buck

1000.00 on a GP for a set of heads that flow somewhat close to the stegs for half the price is a good buy
These heads would also be done by a reputable company

Me personally Im contacting different individuals about there Heads
whoever has the best flowing head for the right price is gonna get my money

Unless Stegs is willing to do a set of heads for 1200.00 I assure you Steg wont be getting my cash

Randy,

Raising the floor of the exhaust port is just what Steig does from what I can tell..Being I have a set..I think if you ported to far into the short side radius youd hit paydirt(in a bad way)..I dont recall seeing any welding done there on my heads..In reality what we need is an all new casting...But noone would be willing to put in the R&D (money) to get that done,,Its a shame really...If not for us there is a cult of 3.8 stang guys waiting for new heads..The SC heads are reminicent of some *other* older ford head designs where you have huge ports small valves and an overall mismatched design...WHat ya gunna do.......

There was member a while back selling heads at a very reasonable price. (blksc) He was having a machine shop in Anaheim do the work and he sold them here at a mark-up. I purchased a set of heads and the flow numbers were very good. The only area they seem to fall a little short on is exhaust. The posted numbers are somewhere in the classified section. I have contacted the machine shop and if anyone is interested, I will post the numbers and pricing. The heads are fully assembled but to not include roller rockers. :cool:

Val

Back