Crank bearing set

ShawnSC1

Does anyone know where I could order a bearing set for the sc crankshaft. Also whats the price for the set. Please let me know, because you can't order these bearings from ford.

Oh ya I might be looking for a set of piston rings. If you know of hand, where to get them and pricing aswell.. thanks

Autozone sells the clevite set for both the main and rods. They are around $30 for each set. Autozone also sells Hastings piston rings for about 55 bucks for the set. Although I got sealed power rings for mine. You know you have the right main bearings when you see one set of main bearings that are .010" undersize. That's for the #4 main which is SC specific.

Is the clevite a good set to use, and can you get those for the cam aswell. I want to get the sealed power rings, are they any good. Also I am just doing a basic rebuild, is there anything I should replace while I am in the bottom end?

I've heard nothing bad about the clevite's. The sealed power rings and pistons are a good stock replacement. The rings are around $80 for the set. A little more than autozone rings but a step up in quality. Yes clevite makes the cam bearing set too. I used them in mine. Since your going to the machine shop to have the cam bearings done you should get the cylinders honed so the new rings will seat, otherwise your new engine will burn unimaginable amounts of oil. Have them deck the block and mill the heads for optimum sealing. As far as the bottom end. Check your crank with a micrometer and see if it needs machining or if it can be reused. Check the rods for slight bends from years of detonation. Get a new timing chain and all new seals in a lower end gasket set. I had to get all new pistons for mine because deonation made them brittle at the ring lands from detonation.

Well I am doing this all myself. So maybe I can clean the cylinders myself. Can I still use those rings if I honed them, or should I then go with the basic ones. The cam bearings look fun to change, but I should be able to do it. I am taking the crank and cam in to get polished. Also I am going to clean the heads myself, and seat the valves. Only time I will take the heads in the the shop, is when I blow the head gasket. The timing chain looks in good shape, why change it?

Why change the timing chain? Because a cloyes chain and sprockets at autozone were only $30. You have to ask yourself, do I want to spend this kind of money on a rebuild and take a shortcut on something like a timing chain? It's a lot of work if you have to go back in later on and replace it. Not to mention once you pull that balancer off it's pretty much junk. I put a new Ford balancer on mine and hope I never have to pull it off because they are not cheap, that's why these people on here love the BHJ balancer, but it's very expensive. Everyone on here told me to take no shortcuts on something that is cheap and I'm glad I listened because it was more work than what I care to do again, just like machining everything, Ford didn't make the flatest block surface you'll ever see. How many miles were on your engine? Why are you doing a rebuild if it wasn't blown head gaskets?

You can use either set of rings as long as you hone the cylinders and get a nice 60* crosshatch. I never heard anything bad about Hastings rings. You said you were just doing a basic rebuild so those rings should be find. You have to measure the cylinders throughly to see if you can still go standard size after you hone or if you planned to go .020" over you don't have to worry about honing. I had the machine shop hone mine and mine were at the upper limits of the standard size color code. So I stayed standard, If I could do it again I would ave went .5mm or .020" over.

Yes I understand what you are saying about the chain. Your right its cheap. But I never here to many guys saying they broke there timing chain. I have a couple of chains sitting around. I am allways up for big jobs, if the chain did go on me.. Thanks for that advise. With the balancer I am going to use my used one. It says as long as you use the correct puller tool you will not weeken the balancer. Reason I am doing a basic rebuild, is because I snapped the crank into two. I was just going to replace it, but thought I should do a little more. Now when I got lots of cash, I will go crazy and do another rebuild, and change everthing that should be changed.

Back