Triple Gauge Pod install question

Dale Puumala

Does anyone have one, and have it installed? I got the one from SP Motorsports (I'm not sure if all of them are made by the same place), but it didn't come with install instructions.

Does it attach over top of the existing A-pillar, or do I need to chop up my existing A-pillar plastic and replace it with the new triple pod plastic?

Anyone have any closeup pictures of the install?

Thanks,
Dale

If it's just the pods themselves, you mount them on top of the A pillar moulding with plastic studs (usually included), rivits or very short sheet metal screws. The other type is a replacement A pillar moulding with the pods already incorperated. Best way for the individual pods is to take the A pillar moulding off, layout your pods, drill holes in the pillar to pass the wires thru and to fix the pods (using any kind of double adhesive tape usually won't work because of the summer heat thru the windshield). Mount the gauges and pods, collect all the wires and tape them together like a loom. You can remove the narrow moulding between the dash and the door jamb and feed the bunched wires down to your fuse box. I did triple set-ups on both my '93 & '94 years ago before they even made pods specifically for the bird. I sent GaugeWorks the profile of my pillars and they (Greg) matched me up with pods from an Eclipse for my '93 & a Chevy truck for my '94. The new ones, of course, for the bird will obviously fit better than mine do; but they are pretty darn close. I also sprayed my A pillars black after mounting the pods, so the color was a nice match & installed a separate fuse block adjacent to the stock one to accommodate the gauge lighting, voltmeter and a radar detector.

Jim, mine is the new molded one that is made for the Thunderbirds.

George, I couldn't find any actual install instructions in that thread on TCCoA. I'll keep looking around.

Dale

Dale - when you say moulded, I assume you mean the gauge pod is in one piece, but it's not a complete/replacement A pillar unit. In which case just follow my guide notes above. Clearance for anchoring the pod varies with model though. On my '93 there was enough clearance behind the A pillar for small black metal screws, whereas on the '94 there was barely enough room for the plastic studs. Also don't put the clamps on the back of each gauge, just incase one goes bad (you can use electrical tape if the fit is loose) and, I cut my original gauge wires short, so I could make a grommet joint inside the pod for easy gauge removal. Finally with my white face gauges I tied the lighting into my dimmer wiring, so they operated when the main dash was lit. However, they were kinda bright, so I used some of the green colored bulbs to tone them down and match the dash lighting.
Good Luck.

Back