Tachometer Replacement Questions

tkruid

I own a 1992 SC. The tachometer goes up and down from 2,000 rpm to 4,000 rpm, with of course, no change in the engines idling. I read from another thread that the tachometer probably needs to be replaced. I called Ford in my town and they said that the part is no longer available and they can't get one from anyone else. They told me to get a used one and that it had to be from a 1992 SC. Thanks for nothing Ford of Sioux Falls. Anyway I am hoping someone out there can help me determine if I can use a tach out of any year (89 to 95) SC's or do I have to find one specifically from a 92. If you know the answer to this and have one for sale let me know as I will most likely buy it. Thanks.

If your going to take apart the dash you might as well get a sweet sweet aftermarket tach. Doesnt have to be basketball size like the ricers. I dunno, just a thought.

tach replacement

HERE IS YOUR ANSWER, in 94' and 95' the tachometers for the super coupes are identicle and are interchangeable with your year but the 94's and 95's redline at 5300 rpms instead of 5100 rpms like the 89'-93' years. As far as swaping another in your car.......damn we got something easy in these cars for a change! yup its as easy as it gets. you remove the clear lens face from the instrument cluster by unscrewing about 5 torque screws. Then the tach. and also the the speedo pull right off. You dont even have to take the instrument cluster out. glad to help, Bill

Thanks everyone

Just want to say thanks for everyone that posted a reply to my question. Happy T-Birding...

Back