What's the ideal gear for 1/4 mile on 90 AOD?

SCTBIRD1173

SCCoA Member
Building a track only pumpkin for my girl's SC. Wondering what would be good for running out all of 3rd gear at the traps? The car has full engine balancing with ported heads and cam. I was thinking a nice Auburn posi/3.73 setup would be ideal. Any suggestions?

What ever gear ratio that would put you about 5-10 % above your peak HP RPM in the highest gear, with out using OD, with the size tires you will be using.

Anything that does not do this, is a compromise. You have to decide what is best for your RPM range and tire size. A car running 30 tall slicks will need a much lower gear than a car using 26 inch tall street tires. Taller tires equal larger foot print for better traction. Its all about compromises.

With a 26 inch tall tire I believe a 4.10 would be ideal,,,Make sure you get a chip to get rid of that speed limiter and recalibreate yer speedo

However like Dave said..Wont be all that fun on the highway...YA also may hav ea problem hooking up with drag radials

Too many varables to respond with out all the details.
1. Max HP and at what RPMs.
2. What size tires you will be using.
3. Do you want it for mostly street, 1/8 mile, or 1/4 mile drag racing.
4. What transmission. (1st gear ratio is a big factor)

There are a lot of other things, but these are the most importanr.

I will be starting off using my 4.30 rear with 30 inch tall slicks for 1/4 miles strips and 26.5 high ET Streets on 1/8 mile tracks. I have 3 rearends that I will select from. A 3.27 for any long trips, and 3.73 and 4.30 for serious stuff. Engine peak HP is at 6,200 RPMs, so crossing the line at 6,700 is my max.

I need to see how loose my new converter is before I make up my mind, since I am using a 3,500 stall Non lockup.

Back