Runs Perfect, Horrible Cold Starts?

SC UL8R1990

Ok , my SC runs great. Gas mileage is fine,purs like a kitten, whines like your average 8 year old little girl. Shes really healthy. However......on cold starts in the morning *sometimes* itll miss and sputter for about 3-8 seconds and die. Turn the key again and fires right up like nothing happened. It just sounds like theres an absolutley huge cam in the car or something when it does this. It just kind of spit spat sputter spit spat.....kinda thing. Also...while it is doing this, the idle goes crazy from almost dead (300rpms) all the way to about 1200rpms

what would cause something like this? seems pretty silly to me.

BTW- New plugs wires not too long ago.

cold starts

many things can effect cold start...i'll list a few..
1) fuel pressure...injector or injectors.. could leak down over night..dumping raw fuel into the motor ..causing a rich condition..or a lean condition ..if the injectors leak pressure off @ the o-rings on the fuel rails .. this would cause the IAC-EEC to hunt for the proper setting...

2) A/C compressor clutch could be engauged .. adding extra load on a cold motor....mine fights to idle when cold...really see it's effects on the vacume side of the boost gauge

#3) icing/condensation in the TB... put it away hot .. freezes up over nite ....changes in weather can do funny things ...computer is allways learning ....change in the seasons
snow yesterday..rain today ......may even want to reboot the computer[EEC] let it relearn

4) mine goes into funny mode...if I take my foot off the brake peddle when cranking it over ...before it fires up ..and reapply my foot to the brake with the key still in crank mode...it will cough sputter and die once it starts ...without a foot load of gas peddle..

5) spark plug gap ..debateable on what plugs are used ..

6)dirty aircleaner/resticktive dirty fuel filter/dirty injectors..

7) fuel ....the better the fuel ...the better the starts ...
......dave

Back