Irritating Rattle

dvruger

OK, I've taken my car to the ford garage, several private mechanics, and nobody can find this rattle. It sounds like an exhaust mount is loose under the car, but it's in the front (or so it sounds) maybe just in front of the firewall, and sounds like it's coming from the passenger side, to middle of the car. It's hard to descrbe a sound with words you know?
Has anybody had a simular problem and found the cause? Best as I can tell my mounts (engine, trans, exhaust) are good, struts are working well, no loose steering links, I just cant find this!

Try this....

Check to see if the heat shield on the catalytic converters is loose. That is a potential source of mystery rattles.

Does it rattle all the time?Bad sway bar endlinks will rattle when you cross even the smallest bumps in the road..
z

It does rattle with most any bump, but sounds like heavier metal than the heat shield. It's not a tinny rattle, more substantial like two larger pieces of steel coming togeter, or a hammer thumping around underneath. I'll check the shield though as well as the sway bars, I think the sways have been checked already though.

Just a thought, but when my exhaust was about 10 years old, the catalatic converter started to disinegrate internally. Ceramic pieces of the honeycomb shaped interns were actually blown all the way back into the mufflers (Probably from the boost or something). Also a round metal rod that is an internal piece of the muffler had rusted/corroded off and was rolling around in the muffler. Siounded like a VW Beettle at idle, and when I went over bumps and around corners the thing would roll around in there. Swore that someone lost a larger socket in my exhaust, but had muffler shop cut it open and he showed me what it was. Shortly thereafter I had bought the SCP exhaust system and no more rattles. The heat shield also was pretty banged up and rattling around, but straightened that out when the new exhaust was put in.

When I first start my car it makes a noise similar to what your describing. I think it's the exhaust hitting the floor....but I dunno. Oh well, the stock exhaust won't be on much longer.

Try kicking the tail pipe with the engine off, and listen for a rattle when you kick it...
Uh??Little off the subject, But, What did I do to my browser or did SCCOA change the forum look?? :confused:

Nor is the ICQ Link...Take a bit to get the bugs out of it, and I'm sure George or whoever would rather be doing something else today than messin with computers.... :D

Back