Installed headers--car now idles funny

Thundersteel

Here's the scoop:

Installed Kooks shorty headers. At the same time, I installed new Motorcraft plugs, new Magnacor plug wires, new Gatorback belts, and new steel tensioner pulleys (bought everything from SCP).

Since then, the car runs great--except when idling after warming up. It idles fine for awhile, then the car almost stalls; than the idle returns to normal; then it almost stalls again--the same cycle over and over. Normal idling RPM is about 800; when it almost stalls, it decreases to about 400 RPM.

When I replaced the IC tubes, I used Tbird88's gaskets, but I left the original sealing tape on. Thinking I may have a leak, I checked for them using carb cleaner spray--no difference.

When removing the factory manifolds, I had to cut the EGR tube, as the fitting wouldn't loosen. I repaired the EGR tube using JB Weld. Thinking it may be an EGR problem, I disconnected the vacuum line from the EGR valve--no difference.

With the headers on, the oxygen sensor leads were too short, so I spliced them to make them longer.

I decided to run codes (key on engine off)--got a code 543 (fuel pump secondary circuit failure).

As I said before; the car runs great, except for the idle problem.
It is a 95 5-speed with 50k miles. Can anyone help me? Thanx!

o2 sensors

also, my understanding is that the o2s are pretty sensitive to resistance changes and by splicing them it can throw them off depending on connection quality, length, and gauge of wire-i spliced mine and the car ran like crap-also, you might have the firing order wrong-one of the manuals out there (haynes I think) has the wrong firing order-good luck, mike

There is nothing wrong with splicing O2 sensors, as long as you do a good job of it. I think the problem is:
When I replaced the IC tubes, I used Tbird88's gaskets, but I left the original sealing tape on.
You need to have clean surfaces for it to seal properly. The carb cleaner trick doesn't always work. I would take the tubes apart, clean them, and reassemble.

well you said you got a code for the fuel pump- right?
that could be the direct cause of ur problem
Im not sure what that code means exactly--but it couldnt hurt to
upgrade the fuel pump and check the relays
g/l

Back