Timing cover removal

minbe

Do you need to drop the oil pan to pull the timing cover? Do you need to pull the oil pump and cam pos sensor to pull the timing cover?
Got my BHJ balancer to replace my broken stocker and decided to change the timing chain and tensioner while I had things apart. Got all the bolts out, but it's not coming off. I didn't use much force, don't want to break anything(other than the water pump bolt I already broke). The cover is loose but it's not going anywhere.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Mike

The timing chain cover will come off with the pan in place. There is one allen head bolt below the oil pump and above the pan that is had to see if you don"t know its there. Oil pump can stay on, The cam position sensor, I lifted up an couple inches to free it from the gear on the cam, note position so you can index it in the right tooth on cam gear on reassembly.Then when all bolts are out gently work the cover to free up the sealant and pull it off. While loosening the cover a cup or so of coolant runs from the head into the pan so make sure you drain oil before firing up engine. hope this helps, Good luck.

That helps alot. The chilton manual says to remove the pan, that would be a nightmare. Now if I can just get a tamperproof torx bit in there some how...
Thanks
Mike

I got mine out with a needle nose vise grip, wasn't that tight. Then I modofied it by breaking the tip out of the center with a punch or chisel it broke easy and now std torx will do it.

I had trouble on one once with the upper stud that on the right side coolant passage. The cover and stud had corroded together and was very difficult to get free. I ended up having to slip a cutting wheel between the timing chain cover and the block and carefully cutting the stud without cutting into the cover or the block. Not easy to do since I had to get a little separation between them.

Once I moved the cam sensor a little the cover came right off. But I do have a broken bolt from the water pump. Will the cover tolerate heat if I torch the stud to get it off? I've got about a 1/4 inch sticking out. I've used heat on cast iron parts but never pot metal.

Back