351w???

blitherskite777

Hey you all, I was wondering if any of you thought about putting a 351W in your Supercoupe. I know all the mods that need to be done to put it in a Fox body Mustang, but dont know if its even possible in a SC? It should bolt to our 5Spd tranny but it sits higher then a 302 so a aftermarket hood would have to be used. Other then the odd thing, I dont see why it cant be done, BUT you never know. I am getting sick and tired of all the problems that 3.8L have, so I am looking for High Horsepower alternative that is different then just putting a 302 in it. If any of you have heard of ANYONE that has tried or knows anything about doing this, let me know. THanx ;)

A few people have done 351 and AOD conversion. The big things are oil pan modification and hood clearance.

Getting a 5 speed behind it is more of a trick. Ted Lyons in the US has a 302 block with a M5R2. I believe some customization was involved to get it to work. MN12 Performance might have some parts to fit a T5 into the MN12. There are some threads on the SCCOA Tech board regarding the conversion. From what I recall, it's not a bolt on deal and requires custom work.

Alllriiighhttyy Then

Well, I think i got my answer. I should stick with maybe doing a 5.0L swap. It sounds alot easier. I wanted to do something that would be different, but I see that you have already put a 350W in a SC. HUMM... Maybe I could fit a 400 :rolleyes: .... kidding ....

I just built my first engine, and now I am sooo excited to build something else. I know this is a chevy 350 but I am soooo proud of it, I need to show it off. We put it in my friends 73 Chevelle Malibu.

If you want to be different, I haven't seen anyone put a 03 Mustang Cobra motor into a MN12 yet.

I think Dennis Reinhart had a 03 cobra motor in his MarkVIII the week it was out lol.... works for me.

Turbo351 said:
Getting a 5 speed behind it is more of a trick. Ted Lyons in the US has a 302 block with a M5R2. I believe some customization was involved to get it to work.

NAH!! it's a walk in the park :)

pic 1
pic 2
Pic 3

And it shouldn't be the end of the word to toss a m5r2 behind a 351W Do not know if the 351W trucks had the M5R2, but reblance the 5.0L Flywheel to have the 351W Inbalance and your set :)

a T5/T45/T56 and the like is alot more fun to install :(

Turbo351 said:
If you want to be different, I haven't seen anyone put a 03 Mustang Cobra motor into a MN12 yet.

I thought I heard that Brian Herron was working on a project like that for someone too ...

cheers,
Ed N.

How about this ?

I found a roled 99 Ford lightning. The engine and everything else is still in great condition. I know its very similar to the Cobra motor in HP but its a 330 in it instead of the 280 in the cobra. I could do a complete transplant of all the electrical componts from one to the other... Has anyone done that yet ?? :confused: Will the 5spd out of a cobra fit the 330? I dont know if the blocks are cast the same.....anybody?

I think the truck uses a 5.4L where the mustang uses the 4.6L I'm not a 100% on that. but if thats the case they should still use the same bolt patern on the back for the bell houseing. Now whats going to be your big problem with the truck motor is going to be how high it sits I think it's some where from an 1 inch to 2 inch more in hight so you might need some kind of hood.

The 5.4 SOHC is wider and taller than any windsor or obvisously the 4.6 sohc. With the blower on top you would probably need about and 8" cowl to get it to fit. I would suggest you steer clear of this unless you have a pile of money and a super clean car to build this project (and a stack of cash for custom fabbed parts). I would however suggest you drop that L motor into a danger Ranger with a 4 link in the rear :cool: that would one fast mini truck :confused:

Don't the Lightnings have a 5.4 L DOHC motor, like the Lincoln Navigator motor?!

It's a beast of a motor. I think Ed has one of these kicking around, which might be finding a new home in that Mark VII he picked up recently.

Ed?!

Cheers,

Sean

Cobras have a 4.6 DOHC, which will fit an MN-12 car ... Lightnings have a supercharged 5.4 SOHC, which would also fit an MN-12, with about a 10" cowl scoop, or a big hole in the hood. The Navigator is the only current production vehicle with the 5.4 DOHC, other than the new Ford GT, and that motor is too wide for the MN-12 engine bay without hacking and slashing.

cheers,
Ed N.

the upcoming 3rd gen L will have the DOHC motor, right now they only have the single cam version. The dohc is rumored to be putting out 500hp in production trim, I guess it's meant to compete with the SRT-10 but will also come with a price tag to match.

Back