Week 3 of Summit Series 2004

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
I didn't really know what to expect this week considering my early retirement last week due to the blown plug. I removed the 'Jerry chip' from the EEC just in case it had anything to do with it and retrained it on thurs & fri. There appeared to be no damage to the engine so everything appeared Ok. I came into today tied for 2nd in points @ 90 despite only winning 1 round last week. On my 1st time trial I ran my friend George's 78 Olds Cutlass losing w/a 13.568 @ 102.3 to his 12.7 @ 103.4. I didn't hook good and my slow time and speed had me wondering so dialed up my shift light 100rpm and cooled down for the 2nd time trial. This time I totally smoked a 6 cyl Camaro and ran a 13.186 @ 105.17 to her 18.329 @ 78.04. I go faster than that in the 1/8th. On my 1st elimination I dialed a 13.15, which I kept all night, and ran a silver 2003 Lightning. His red light would not have kept me from beating him anyway as I ran a 13.232 @ 104.98 w/a .580 light to his 13.610 on a 13.40 dial-in. My next elimination round found me against a fox body Mustang dialed in @ 13.90. My .515 reaction time enabled me to catch and pass him easily and then tip toe across the finish line just staying in front of him to prevent any chance of a breakout and ran a 13.355. On my next and last round I red lighted, .434, on George and his Cutlass and cut it off at the 1/8th, dead meat again. It wouldn't have been so bad except he cut an easily beatable .761 light. Oh well! I got 40 more points though and may still be tied for 2nd. With my back to normal times and speeds sans 'Jerry chip' I think I'm Ok and dodged a bullet last weekend. I'll keep an eye on the coolant level though. My dumped, gas contaminated oil from last weekend showed no evidence of coolant when I drained it so I think all is Ok. We're off the next 2 weekends and return to action on Apr 10th.

Nice times/good job! I myself usually like to attend the grudge nights(kinda crowded though). I need to head to commerce soon to run my GTP a few times before it starts getting hot in these parts. Was your fastest run in your sig ran at the ATL dragway or at a lower track?

Yes, I ran my 12.87 last Sept at the annual Mopar meet against a late 60's/early 70's 440 Duster. The guy was in shock when he got back to the pits. He knew I had a 3.8 V6 and didn't expect to get smoked. He ran a very respectable 13.41 but it wasn't nearly enough. I loved it. I've got the 'chip' pulled right now until I can get it recalibrated so I probably won't be visiting the 12's for awhile. I've run 5 12.9's so far. I'm restricted to a 13.0 minimum anyway in Trophy/street. I usually don't go on Fri nights because of the crowd but I'll take my red 90 up there after the engine is broken in, probably in the summer some time. I'll be running the next 3 Sat's, with Fun Ford Weekend sandwiched in between 2 Summit weekends. Come on down if you can. There was a young black guy there a few weekends ago with a 2004 GTP running high 15's/low 16's I think it was and a guy with a regular Grand Prix was running mid-16's in the Sportsman class. So far I haven't lost to a GTP but I'm sure there's one lurking out there somewhere that can take me.

Mike Puckett said:
Yes, I ran my 12.87 last Sept at the annual Mopar meet against a late 60's/early 70's 440 Duster. The guy was in shock when he got back to the pits. He knew I had a 3.8 V6 and didn't expect to get smoked. He ran a very respectable 13.41 but it wasn't nearly enough. I loved it. I've got the 'chip' pulled right now until I can get it recalibrated so I probably won't be visiting the 12's for awhile. I've run 5 12.9's so far. I'm restricted to a 13.0 minimum anyway in Trophy/street. I usually don't go on Fri nights because of the crowd but I'll take my red 90 up there after the engine is broken in, probably in the summer some time. I'll be running the next 3 Sat's, with Fun Ford Weekend sandwiched in between 2 Summit weekends. Come on down if you can. There was a young black guy there a few weekends ago with a 2004 GTP running high 15's/low 16's I think it was and a guy with a regular Grand Prix was running mid-16's in the Sportsman class. So far I haven't lost to a GTP but I'm sure there's one lurking out there somewhere that can take me.

I might have to make it out to the track for the next few saturdays(haven't been on a saturday in almost a year I'd say). As for the GTP's, I only know of one that *might* be at your level in GA, there may be more, but I haven't heard of any in GA that are really fast. Currently there are 69 GTP's listed on clubgp's 1/4 mile list in the 12's or better...there should be more now(list isn't updated for a while most of the time). http://www.clubgp.com/cgi-asp/qtrmile.asp

Back