loud pulleys

Thomas95SC

My pulleys seem to be making an awful lot of noise. Its hard to show off my car when it sounds like that. Im thinking about unbolting them and cleaning the the inside surfaces and greasing the hell out of them. Maybe they just need to be re-greased?

Get some new idler pullies from Napa or Autozone/whatever....They are metal and are much quieter, look better, clean up better...

Brad

Replacement pulleys would be best, replacement sealed bearings second and re-greasing the bearings a distant third. If you are in a hurry and short on cash you can remove the sealed bearing shields (very carefully, with a jewelers screw driver like you'd use to remove the back off your watch when replacing the battery). Wash the bearings, repack and snap the seals back on. Worked for quite a while on my '93, but I eventually has to replace them with the Cobra pulleys.

i just got a rebuilt alternator, and put it in on saturday, and the pully on it makes alot of noice, is there anything i can do for that ?

If the alternator is that noisey, it sounds like they didn't replace the bearings - I'd take it back. Bit of a pain getting it back off again, but well worth it in the long run. Just put a reman unit on my '94 & there is no noise.

Back