ABS fix excitment

H GREENLEY

******For the past couple of weeks my ABS has been driving me nuts. I have been having intermittent operation to the point where I would have to sit 5 to 10 minuets for the ANITLOCK light to go out before I could drive my car. Then once on the road, if I didn't use the brakes for sometime the ANTILOCK light would come on again, leaving me in heavy traffic with no brakes. This was scary. I just had motor mounts replaced and tranny rebuilt and was not ready for more $$$$$$$$$ flying out the window.
******Today I fixed the problem and it didn't cost me a single RED penny. Thanks to DUFFY FLOYD who has a very informative and detailed ( print ) on how our ABS works and what our most likely problems are. It directed me to the RELAY as the first possible culprit and ( IT WAS ) I remove the relay to check it out and the contact's had a hardened pasty lubricant on them. I thought before I spend money on a new one I would clean the contacts up and see if would help. ( IT DID ) The motor came on immediately, each and every time. YEEEEESSSSSS. So if you have symptoms similar to mine you may want to clean the RELAY CONTACTS and HARNESS connection before you SPEND.

By the way is the lubricant suppose to be there?

Thanks again DUFFY FLOYD

If your standing in front of the car looking toward the engine, there are 2 relays on the upper left hand side. A brown and black one. The black one is ABS power relay and the brown one is ABS pump replay. I believe I have the colors right. Someone can confirm this.

They are on the left side firewall in the engine compartment just above the A/C dryer.

And yes the black is power and brown is pump motor relays.

Back