Odd electrical problem, would appreciate help....

BlackSC

Okay, I would have searched on this but for some reason my searches with the new style are only pulling up 2 hits for the search "idle", which has to be wrong, but at any rate I can't find any info.

My 93 5sp just did something really strange. Drove to work(~20 miles) and parked it. Came back 6 hours later and started it. It wouldn't idle at 750-800 where it usually does, more like around 500, and trying to die. So I'm revving it up some, and the tach is diving, showing 0 rpm then kind of all over the place (although not higher than usual, just down in the 1000 range). My radio won't come on. I'm hearing the idle translated through the radio speakers as static. The oil pressure is pegged, check gauges and abs and hard ride lights are on. Try restarting, same thing.

So I tried backing out and driving it a little, managed to get it down the parking lot a bit but it was dying every 10 feet so stopped. Popped hood, checked oil level (nervous habit, probably a good one), and then looked at fuse box next to the battery. Popped a few of the fuses, especially the one for the EEC, figuring maybe I can make it reset. All this took a few minutes. So I get back in, restart it, and for some reason it works. Drove it home (~20 miles) and it was fine.

Now for the circumstances. It was about the first hot day this year (65 degrees). The car is bone stock, 80k miles on it. It does have an ignition interlock switch that is leftover from a half pulled out alarm system, but switching it on or off didn't seem to change anything. Just replaced the clutch and slave cylinder last week (would be worried that that had something to do with it but it just seems like such an electrical problem). It doesn't have any codes in the memory and it usually doesn't have electrical problems to put them there. Has been running great otherwise. Oh, and it got taken out and run hard for the first time in about 6 months yesterday, just peeling out and driving some, doubt it had anything to do with it but who knows...

Anyway if anybody knows if these symptoms point to a specific sensor or the eec, or perhaps a fuse or short circuit, I sure would like to hear about it. For that matter if anybody knows what's up with the search tell me so I can find out on my own. Thanks.

Brian

Last edited:
bump...

Well read codes again, got nothing. Then disconnected battery for half hour, and played with PCV valve on passenger side valve cover. It isn't tightly into the rubber hose connection, but I made it fit a little better. Also slipped the vacuum hose on the back of the bypass valve on a little tighter, it's pretty loose. Would any of this affect my idle as I was seeing?

Brian

no codes, but thanks...only code I get is:

116 O,R Engine coolant temperature higher or lower than expected

Don't know why I get this, only get it when the engine is running. Otherwise the codes just aren't there.

Brian

Check the running voltage. If the guages pegged, then it could be due to a faulty alternator regulator putting out too much voltage. If they're still doing this, don't keep it running. Just check it and turn it off. chekc across the battery terminals with a voltmeter. Should be in the 14-15 range.

Back