tires question

92redsc

what is the best rear tire toput on a sc that will make it hook up? i want a street tire more than a Drag radial. i just want something that will last a while, not effect ride and handling, and will hook up. on the stock wheels. i was thinking like 245/50/16. i think it is the same hight. i just want to make sure it wont effect handling if im only putting these on the back. any suggestions?

245-50-16 will be approx. 1" smaller in diameter than stock SC tires.

http://www.sccoa.com/faq/tirecalc.php

Drag radials will affect handling, as will any type of tires that are built for best straight-line traction. You have a choice ... you can hook really well off the line, and slow down for the corners, or you can spin a bit out of the hole, and drive crazy like me through the corners. ;)

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Put Goodyear F1's on My SC and love them, Hook really good off the line and handle fantastic. Won't last long though maybe about 15K if lucky, but worth it if you ever drove with them.

ok thanks, so 245/55/16s are the same size. i can only find one nice tire in that size, but its 179 bucks. any sizing suggestions? i want both great handling and straight line traction. i drag race, but love to fly around corners. i know that going to a smaller back tire sidewall size will make it look funny, so i dont want to do that. help is appreciated, i know when it was running the 225 all seasons wouldnt hook. i think it was running bad too. i couldnt ever break the tires loose shifting into second, ive heard you can on a stock SC. my moms 3.8l mustang will and it only has 150 HP. so i know when this is running right i really wont have traction. HELP

Not sure if you're stuck on the tire size or not, but I've got Kumho 235/60/16's that are W rated and are showing very good wear for the speed rating. they don't handly well in wet/snow though. Very affordable too. I got mine at Tirerack.com and paid $69 per tire delivered, plus an additional $40 to have them mounted and balanced...They fill up the tire well great...

Here's the link to where I got the tires...
tires
It was a great price. I've been to the track with them a couple times so far. They do spin a little, but not what normal "S" rated tires do. I ran them at 22 lbs but am thinking about going to 20 to see if they hook up better. I'm particularly happy with the grip around corners. They're awesome. Just don't try the same cornering when it's wet out. They are not nearly as good on wet pavement. I get a lot of spin from them on wet pavement. I'm sure there are better tires out there, but if you're looking to save a little on tires, these are the ones to get. And they really fill up that tire well. I think the best thing about them is the way they last. For a "W" rated tire, they are not showing it at all. I've put over 5k on them since I got them and I don't see too much wear. I'll have to do a side-by-side with the fronts and rears when I put them on my other SC this spring. I just know that there is still a fair amount of tread on the rear tires with a lot of vigirous acceleration...

Back