Pulling Heads Question

ipeefreely

Hi guys. Just a quick question

I am redoing my head gaskets and I am going to be pulling the head off in the next few days. Before I get at it I have question about pulling my heads. Do I have to put the engine at TDC before I take my heads off or do can I just loosen the rocker arms and pull the push rods out? I would like to keep it simple and not mess around with stuff if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Jay

I just pulled mine right off. When I went to re-install the pushrods and rockers, I turned the crank so that that the lifter that I was about to work on was seated all the way down. I then torqued the fulcrum bolt. I turned the crank to ensure that each set of lifters that I worked on was all the way down. So far its worked.

Thanks for your reply sonicman1634.

I was wondering if any one else had any tips? (seeing how half the people on the board has probably done their head gaskets. :rolleyes: )

Thanks,

Jay

It shouldn't matter when pulling them off unless you are pulling the cam sensor out. (no need if your just doing head gaskets) The only time you need No. 1 at TDC is when you are reassembling and tightening rockers.

Head removal tips

1. Remove the two 8mm bolts holding the hood latch in place, and get it out of the way early.
2. Obviously, label everything. Little tags on both sides of all the vacume lines, etc.
3. Be prepared to disconect the fuel lines, two different sized fittings. Don't forget to re-connect the inertia shut off switch (in the trunk), if you disconnected it to de-presurize the fuel system.
4. Get a 8 x 1.25 die to clean up the threads on the intake manifold bolts, and some of the others too.
5. There is a little box with an electrical connecter and two vacume lines bolted to the back side of the drivers side head. Don't forget it.
6. I soaked my exhaust manifold bolts in tranny fluid and they were much easier to get in. They did smoke like heck for a few minutes when I fired it up though.
7. The fel-pro exhaust manifold gaskets are not a perfect fit for our manifolds. If you use them you may want to "modify" them. At the very least, be sure to bolt them back in from the inside out, or outside in. Not left to right, etc.
8. The fuel rail requires a torx bit. Don't bolt it back down until you have most of the stuff back on. I took mine off and on about 6 times when I assembled.
9. Do yourself a favor and replace the thermostat housing bolts with studs and nuts. Easier to maintain.
10. Eat breakfast and have plenty of beer on hand.

have fun
Bob

Back