Caliper pin lubrication

Digitalchaos

I will soon be checking the calipers on all 4 wheels for properly lubricated pins, and am considering the substance to use as a grease.

I have been informed that silicon grease is the best option, as it apparently does not attract brake dust or other debris. However, I was unable to locate any, so I was told by several people that they substitute high speed wheel bearing grease, though its not intended for the use.

As I was searching for a lube, I came across Permatex antiseize, and it mentioned numerous characteristics which seemed beneficial in this application and also recommended its use on brake anchor pins.

Therefore I have purchased Permatex antiseize. Is this suitable for the caliper pins?

Just ask the parts counter for the Caliper lube - when I got some last time it was called "Sil-Lube".

A good quality whell bearing grease will work but is not designed for the temperatures that the pin can see during heavy breaking. I used it for years without any problems

The MOST important thing is to replace the rubber bellows on the pins to keep the pins clean - I have never encountered a seized pin with a good bellows. The hardware kits cost about $7 per axle and come with everything to do the job less the grease.

Antisieze is not designed to be used as a lubricant, it most probably will work but why risk your brakes to a couple of bucks for the correct lube.

Aaron

Last edited:
No no no no nooooo..

Not wheel bearing grease. Azone has these little packets of caliper grease. You'd be much better off with that. My problem w/WB grease (and I use it all the time) is that its heavy, and seems to cook under high temperatures. OK for wheel bearings, but not much else.

I thought that the wheel bearing grease might not stand the temperature, which is why I bought antiseeze especially after its recommendation.

The problem with buying the correct caliper grease is they simply don't have any. In this case, they is a reference to every auto parts store and hardware store in my area!

Back