2nd gear trouble?

Digitalchaos

Recently I have been having trouble shifting into second gear at normal shift speed or when downshifting. 2nd gear has a tendency to grind under these conditions. If I slow down the shift, or wait until slowing down more for downshifting, it will ease into gear w/o a grind.

I would normally assume immediately that this was due entirely to a blocker ring problem, except that at the same speed I can downshift or engauge first gear w/o any effort! This is what throws me off. I know the synchros are becoming worn, as the problem has gradually increased. Yet to my knowledge first and second share the same synchro blocker ring, and first is fine.

What is your input on this? Thanks!

yea mine needs one for second gear i used brass ones about 150 thousand miles ago and it always did grind downshifting im pretty sure there was a blocker for each gear i replaced 2nd and 3rd on mine

So you are saying there is a seperate blocker ring for each of the 5 gears? I don't have any significant knowledge about these transmissions, though I have read here from other members that there are only a few synchronizer assemblies, between 1 & 2, 3 & 4, 5 & maybe R. The blocker rings are what usually wears out, correct? So are there 2 blockers per synchro?

Thanks rlong..

I too have this problum on my 95. It seems that its actually when I first drive the car, its a bit sticky getting into 2nd from either 1st or 3rd. After it warm up it doesnt seem to happen as frequently. Could be my imagination??
I too would like more insight into this situation.
Tom :confused:

Digitachaos-you are correct, there are 2 blocker rings per synchro you can get them from Ford d. get the regular fiber blockers .I had same problem and did it by myself, if you will be there change 1,2,3,4synchro blocker rings [5-th and reverse dont need to be changed] you can do it by yourself with basic tools ,it isn't that hard

Ditto, ditto and ditto

I've had this problem for a while. I am on the 3rd clutch and 2nd slave cylinder since I purchased brand new in 1994 (115k now). I've found at slow speeds if I hold in the clutch and wait for the revs to fall off, she glides into second. If I shift it really quickly, no problem. Anywhere inbetween, it's notchy and sometimes...just won't go.

I've read other comments in the past that the blocking gears are made of fibre material like brake pads or motorcycle clutch parts and that they should only be replaced with the same type for optimal performance. Since I don't have $1500 to spend having the thing taken out and rebuilt, I live with it.

In fact, it's a pretty nice security feature. Only I truly know how to make my girl go! ;)

Back